Ms Word's ability to Mail Merge well?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vjaaan, Mar 19, 2011.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

Due to limitations of Pages' and OpenOffice to do easy (and complete) Mail Merges, I have to consider buying Word (which I hate).
    Two questions: Can Word do the same decent job of merging data (from spreadsheets) to a form letter as WordPerfect does on the PC?

And, I need to install the Office suite (Word) on two of my computers. I assume if I have the discs I can do that? Or do we have to pay extra for the "right" to use "our" program on two computers?

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word has had mail merge capability for more than a decade. It provides many options for creating source data files. Among the plethora of options is using Excel files.

3. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the reply. I had my doubts because there were other things I had learned that Word did not do as well as WordPerfect so I was afraid to assume it could handle my merges easily.

I think I'll have to go ahead and get Word now. I'm so sorry that OpenOffice made such a complicated task of merging. It has been the most like WordPerfect that I could find for a Mac.