Msata ssd converter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikerahl, Jan 1, 2015.

1. mikerahl macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I'm going to be buying a new 15" macbook pro shortly. Currently I have a eurocom 17" laptop with a 1tb msata disk inside. I want to convert that disk to one I can mount in an external case to use for portable flash storage. Does anyone know of a reliable converter or case I can do this with? I already have a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter I was planning to use, I'm just looking for a way to make use of my 1tb of extra storage.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Something like this from Amazon? I don't own one, but the specs look good (UASP support) and it has a lot of good reviews.

3. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

You'll want a mSATA -> SATA tray. If you have a GoFlex Go portable TB adapter, you'll want to adapt it to a 2.5" drive. If you have a GoFlex desktop TB adapter, you'll want a 3.5" drive adapter. You can fit the adapter into your GoFlex housing if you have one. If you don't have one but want to use a GoFlex housing to match the TB adapter, they're available cheap on Amazon US (presuming they will ship to CA).

But I would just skip the TB adapter and use Weaselboy's suggestion of mSATA enclosure with USB 3.0. It will be cheaper and smaller. Unless you have a deal-breaker reason you need TB, a USB 3.0 drive will perform suitably just for storage use. If you're actually running something that has high CPU utilization along with high I/O requirements, or for some reason don't have enough USB capacity (like too much power draw), then the TB might be useful.

4. mikerahl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up doing exactly that. I found an msata to sata case adapter (adapter with a shell), then put it into a spare USB3 case I had lying around. Works well!