Msata ssd converter

mikerahl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hi, all. I'm going to be buying a new 15" macbook pro shortly. Currently I have a eurocom 17" laptop with a 1tb msata disk inside. I want to convert that disk to one I can mount in an external case to use for portable flash storage. Does anyone know of a reliable converter or case I can do this with? I already have a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter I was planning to use, I'm just looking for a way to make use of my 1tb of extra storage.

Thanks!

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
I already have a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter I was planning to use,
You'll want a mSATA -> SATA tray. If you have a GoFlex Go portable TB adapter, you'll want to adapt it to a 2.5" drive. If you have a GoFlex desktop TB adapter, you'll want a 3.5" drive adapter. You can fit the adapter into your GoFlex housing if you have one. If you don't have one but want to use a GoFlex housing to match the TB adapter, they're available cheap on Amazon US (presuming they will ship to CA).

But I would just skip the TB adapter and use Weaselboy's suggestion of mSATA enclosure with USB 3.0. It will be cheaper and smaller. Unless you have a deal-breaker reason you need TB, a USB 3.0 drive will perform suitably just for storage use. If you're actually running something that has high CPU utilization along with high I/O requirements, or for some reason don't have enough USB capacity (like too much power draw), then the TB might be useful.

mikerahl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up doing exactly that. I found an msata to sata case adapter (adapter with a shell), then put it into a spare USB3 case I had lying around. Works well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.