Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
I actually just reseated the mSata a few times, now it shows up in disk utility but will not format. I get the "Input/output" error.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I say that it is the mSATA SSD, an I/O error is usually with the drive. Do you have any other computers to test the drive in??

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
I sure do, I'm hoping it's just an issue with the disk utility and I can format it on a secondary machine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My understanding with mSATA and adapter cards was to avoid drives that were SATA III. I wonder if this might not be the case here. The sticker on that drive says SATA III…

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Verify operation on another computer and then look into other options. SSDs with bad controllers often exhibit these symptoms and checking with another computer will rule out a bad drive. Then you need to look into the adapter and jumper settings if everything with the drive checks out.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have the exact same adapter (branded Lycom) in a couple of my PowerBooks running without issue. It has a Marvel chip and seems better reviewed than the more common JMicron based adapters. The one to avoid is the JMicron 20320 controller as that one is reported to be flakey. The 20330 revision fixed the stability issues.

Either your adapter or the mSATA card is faulty. Incompatibility should not be an issue.

val1984

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Just in case, did you try to format the SSD in a Firewire or USB enclosure?
I did try that and I think I got an I/O error too but the adapter+mSATA drive did work as expected once in the PowerBook.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
Just in case, did you try to format the SSD in a Firewire or USB enclosure?
I did try that and I think I got an I/O error too but the adapter+mSATA drive did work as expected once in the PowerBook.
It turns out to be a faulty drive. I've tried to format in a few different ways; in an IDE adapter, in a Sata adapter, in a USB adapter and as a standalone drive with different software and various operating systems.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
It turns out to be a faulty drive. I've tried to format in a few different ways; in an IDE adapter, in a Sata adapter, in a USB adapter and as a standalone drive with different software and various operating systems.
Are you gonna contact NewEgg for a replacement??

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
Are you gonna contact NewEgg for a replacement??
Exactly so, until then I'll just be using a 32gb mSata with adapter. I have a Toshiba Qosmio AV680 with two 256gb mSata drives but I'm unwilling to use one of them for my Powerbook.

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Why you not buy one of current available PATA SSD's? i have a transcend 64GB version on my powerbook, and its working pretty fine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 142

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Why you not buy one of current available PATA SSD's? i have a transcend 64GB version on my powerbook, and its working pretty fine.

You can use an mSata in any computer you like, if you buy a pata SSD you will be limited to old computers only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.