MSDN and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Communism, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Communism macrumors newbie

Communism

ok, so my college has an MSDN with microsoft and i have access to XP w/ SP2 to download.

if i download this and burn to a DVD can i install under boot camp to get windows on my MBP?

i've been trying to see if anyone has tried this and i can't find anything. so if anyone can tell me, please let me know before i download it and it screws up my MBP.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's one problem you may run into - these programs tend to use download managers that require Windows to use. If you run into this issue, be aware that, unless you have Windows 7, Windows doesn't come with a utility to burn ISO files to optical discs. You'll either need to get a third-party tool that does this, or do the burning on a Mac... of course, you'll have to transfer the file somehow.

Anyway, once you get past that, what you're trying to do should work just fine. Windows XP is Windows XP, no matter where you get it from.

3. sharp65 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure MSDNAA uses a download manager to get the files, your going to have to download it from a windows machine.

4. nman040 macrumors member

Did the install go ok? I tried installing Vista on a macbook and for some odd reason it wiped out all the partitions (the OS X one included). I repeated the exact same process with a an OEM version of XP and it was fine.. Hmm curious.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Yes it will work. I've installed Vista from MSDN on my MBP. Currently downloading Win7 from MSDN.