MSI 4870 1gb in a Mac Pro?! Mine seems bricked!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Axonometry, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Axonometry macrumors newbie

Does anybody have a working ROM for this MSI 4870 1gb card (T2D1G)???

I have already tried combining a "fanfix-implemented" pc bios with the apple ROM using pipomolo42's script, and then flashing it with atitool.

The card seems to have been bricked in the process, after the restart command, the (early 2008) Mac Pro have begun chiming constantly, apparently stuck in a POST-loop. I have been unable to boot while the 4870 is put in (only after disconnecting all 2 power cables, although the fan spins on 100%).

Does this mean the card is paperweight, or is it reflashable in a PC (unfortunately i only have the Mac Pro right now)??
    Alternatively, can i reflash it without the power cables?
    I suppose atiflash wouldn't even recognise it.. (i couldn't test this, the bootable CD i wrote appears to have ceased working after the initial flashing, even without the 4870 put in)
    If the card is reflashable, and someone has a working ROM, i would really appreciate it being sent to me!
    Thanks

2. Axonometry thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, solved it, redid the whole thing with the original BIOS of the pc card and everything is good now. Even Snow Leopard runs smoothly.
    Only thing i've yet to figure out is why the fans acting so "rapidly" in OS X always? I mean, i can hear the fan spinning up at an expose or simply scrolling a website!

Is there an option to set the speed of the fans in osx or by windows-which then sticks?

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why use the default cooler in the first place?

4. Axonometry thread starter macrumors newbie

While being a "stock" card, this particular cooler seems pretty efficient though. Big copper pipes, and such... This seems like a software/firmware issue, the card shouldn't react this quick to load changes.

5. MacVidCards Suspended

Hey, could you attach your working ROM?

Might help someone in the future.

Remember, the point of those fan mods was to get more cooling from fan.

Well, you've got more cooling.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Are both of your DVI ports working simultaneously? We haven't had any reports from people with MSI cards.

7. Axonometry thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tested: both DVI ports work! I have one monitor only, but hooking it up with a DVI-DVI and a DVI-HDMI, both gets detected as separate displays, and gives picture.

Uploaded the final rom: http://rapidshare.com/files/278861123/msi_t2d1g_efi.bin

If anyone has a suggestion about the fan 'problem', i'm really interested! Ie: setting the fan speed at a constant rate in windows CCC and then rebooting into osx - is it working with these flashed cards, and is it even a good idea (if the speed is set too low, would it burn?!).

This machine is/was so quiet, even this little fan noise gives annoyance!