Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
Normally I would not post a non Apple product here but since the article talks about Macbook air as well as coming in very thin (especially after all the mocking DELL received), this notebook is indeed very thing and looks exactly like a Macbook air.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-slim-x320-notebook-macbook,6756.html

As well, who makes the motherboards for Apple anyway? I believe it is Asus correct?

Lastly, FWIW, 90% of the articles out there confirm what I believe in that Windows 7 is very fast, especially on older equipment and they have introduced things like Aero shake where you shake on window with mouse and all the windows miniumize, or the taskbar pinning thumbnails where every icon will all the windows open. Example, lets say you have photoshop open and you have five images spanned on two monitors, when you hover over the PS icon, five (5) thumbnails appear, as you then hover over the thumbnails, each window enlarges on your desktop, in full screen preview, sort of like spaces tacked on to task bar. Wondering how successful windows will be now?

Lastly, Mac OS Ken states in yesterdays podcast that viruses are becoming more the norm and one company at macworld predicts very soon that Apple is going to have to step away from Macs don't get viruses statement and let the 3rd party developers sell their products.

Very strange times these days.

Personally, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about - and wonder though if we'll see reduced prices on iMacs, Mini's (or huge upgrade), as well as either reduced prices on MBP's with quad core MBP's coming in at thte $1999 price points?

Peace

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Firstly its made from cheap plastic, not aluminium.

It has an intel Atom processor which is around 10 times slower than the Air's Core 2 Duo

Its going to run Windows or Linux, not Mac OS X

Finally Mac OS X already has virus detection and removal software integrated into the kernel so the last points a bit...pointless?

:):apple:

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
I don't know why you need core 2 duo just to surf the internet and watch movie. How many people uses the air to render videos and photos? Its going to cost less then $1000 and gets around 10 hours of battery time.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
To me the same things apply to it as to the Macbook Air: it's still big. I don't really care that a laptop weighs slightly over 1 kilo, it's still something that requires you to carry a somewhat big bag with you compared to the tiny netbooks which serve very much the same purposes.

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
Firstly its made from cheap plastic, not aluminium.

It has an intel Atom processor which is around 10 times slower than the Air's Core 2 Duo

Its going to run Windows or Linux, not Mac OS X

Finally Mac OS X already has virus detection and removal software integrated into the kernel so the last points a bit...pointless?

:):apple:

Yes, I know, windows, LOL, but honestly, having used PC's like forever and going FULL TIME (LOL) to mac after Vista, I still downloaded the beta Windows 7 and it is very fast, much faster than Vista and causes the fan to run much less as they somehow managed to increase performance while reducing CPU usage. Guess its true that Windows 7 will run on older computers. Equally, I find it interesting that high end FIREWIRE audio installed drivers (ASIO) without any pop ups, new hardware dectected boxes, similar to OS X in that it just installs. For the first time in a long time, I think Micro might have a hit on their hands with Windows 7. Time will tell. At the same time, Apple is going to do (IMHO) everything they can to hold onto the 3X market share that they have jumped up to in the last 4 years, as a result, this should benefit the consumer.

To the poster that said the MSI is plastic, that may be so but when you consider that the newest CPU's can be had for ~$300 for an i7, less in a few more months, I think you will see lighter, thinner and perhaps metal net books that come in under $1000 with plastic thin coming in at $500 or less. If Windows 7 turns out to be really stable, combined with Microsofts LIVE and MESH programs, you will see geneal IT and corprate pulling the trigger - although for MSFT to really make a huge splash, they would have to release the OS at once price point, THEY WON'T but if they did, I would expect a huge demand for Windows 7, especially if MSFT marketing is smart enough to respond to the claims that over the summer there were a few very dangerous viruses out there, to be expected as Apple gains market share.

Regardless, this all translates into better prices for us, the consumer and pro user from both sides. We just need to hope that Windows 7 is a success and Apple's shares get threatened as this will mean better products at a better price for Apple.

Lastly, the future is in clouding computing, both Apple and Microsoft are doing this and as I mentioned earlier, MSFT has been developing MESH and LIVE a lot and Apple still needs to figure out PUSH, and MSFT on the other hand is almost nearing the point where programs like OFFICE will be online on a much larger scale than iwork.com, again, this translates to Apple having to create a better experiences, reduced price points for hardware, software as well as development for cloud computing (something Microsoft does very well) and again, this is all very very very good news for us end users, not matter which side of the camp you sleep on.

Peace

PS. If you have a PC around, download the new Windows 7 beta, good until July 1st, 2009. Have had it nearly a week. Not one crash, runs 2~3 times faster than Vista, boots faster and MESH/LIVE are unreal, especially MESH as this site has APPLE MACS as part of their circle and networking.

meshpz2.png

They also say LIVE is really REALLY cool but haven't check that out yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.