Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
EDIT : I may have spoken too soon. My RX 58o's IDLE temp has edged back up to 50°C at IDLE.

I have no idea what caused these temperature ' flip flops "

==============================================

Until today I had my MSI RX 580 8gb powered through an EVGA PoweLink like this

TWO by Motherboard Mini-6 pin to 8 pin to Powerlink to RX 580 8 pin socket.
In this setup, according to iStat Menus the RX 580 maintained a steady
54 ~ 55°C ( about 131°F ) = at idle

============================================
I have seen online posts in many GPU forums that the RX 580 actually used more power than advertised.

. .so .. out of curiosity . .I also connected an extra . ..

. .. TWO x SATA to 6 pin cable to the right side of the PowerLink spare 8 pin socket
( 6 pin to 8 pin socket works ! )

Now with the extra, added SATA power iStats Menus reports . . . the RX 580's temps as ..
( at idle ) 37 ~ 38 °C. !​

MSI RX 580 Temp reduction.jpg

Under mild stress the temp rises to around 43 ~ 44°C

I'm certainly not complaining. especially as we're in the middle of a very hot summer here in Japan . . just curious as to why adding extra power to the card results in this 18°C operating temp reduction.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Macschrauber

Not tonight, busy & out of the house.

Do you have an RX 580 & a EVGa PowerLink ? You could try it

Note : Before I left home I ran a hi-rez vid and the RX 580 went up to 50°C - usually around 70°C.

No over changes have been made to my cMP set up.

Whatever caused this reduction .. . I like it. :)

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
BUMP

Just edited my first post. The RX 580's temps have slowly risen to just below the former average.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
if your card is like my RX 580 pulse then at low use the fan will not spin then it hits 'x' temp and spins up then spins down, at idle to low use it's set to keep the gpu temp about 50-55c

off hand, I can't remember but in windows it's easy to watch with GPU-z, the fan will spin up temp drops fan stops temp goes up fan spins up and so on.

so if it's like my GPU then it has a 'zero' rpm fan setting, if you want lower temps you can edit the bios to keep the fan spinning non stop even at low use.

the power use from what i have seen basically matches what AMD say, one thing that catches people out is with 1 display it uses X power but with 2+ displays it changes to a higher power state and uses more power at idle.
relay easy to test if you have more than one display unplug one and you see something like a 10W drop in power use (from memory not tested it in ages)

I have noticed slightly higher power use in OSX over windows but that's from software and im not 100% if that's just different software reading things wrong or osx uses more power or just random error on my part

edit
Annotation 2019-08-25 151017.jpg
so my gpu fan hits on aroud 50-54c then drops gpu to about 48c then turns of and so on at low use

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
GPU temperature around 38°C just after cold boot is normal with ambient temperature 25°C, if the Mac Pro was switched off before for some time.

Idle after cold Boot.png

After a short time with normal use the GPU temperature is around 46°C.

After three hours.png

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
maybe your card has a lower temp target?

you can use
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'
in terminal to watch temp and fan speed if you want too
from
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/rx580-fan-display-and-control-gpusensors.263867/
or
while sleep 2; do ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done

for updates every 2 sec

Reactions: MacUser2525
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.