MSI Wind U100 vs Medion Akoya E1210 vs Advent 4211

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by champ01, Aug 3, 2008.

1. champ01 Guest

hello

wanna buy one of these laptops but not sure which one to buy
    are there any mayor differences between these 3 laptops?

have seen people runnin osx on it which is great :)
    older games run nice but can it run basic stuff in logic 8 and final cut pro?

and which store has these on stock (i am from the netherlands and it's sold out everywhere) don't mind if its in the states or uk as long its cheap!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

If your sole purpose of getting this laptop is to run OS X then do not get any of these. Even if you do get it to work the hardware would not be fully supported and it would run very slow. If you are still interested in getting a netbook than I would recommend looking at the Asus Eee line up.

3. champ01 thread starter Guest

don't know if its that slow from the looks of it on youtube it runs ok
    i won't go to hard on these laptops because i have mac pro quad-core also

the asus models look really bad (but thats a taste issue)
    to bad all models have no firewire that way i could have used the apogee duet

here are some videos from youtube
    msi wind: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2kJMTK62c
    medion akoya E1210: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=oK4s5thS9i4

so they're not as powerful as the macbook... but just for basic stuff and school it could be enough plus don't have more money to spent at this point

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

The MSI Wind runs Leopard 100x better than the Asus EEE PC. But as for your question I don't have any experience with the 3 laptops you mentioned except for watching youtube demo's and reading up on it.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Intel Atom CPU used in most of the newer laptops is a very underpowered CPU. It's slower than the G4 mini, so no... don't expect to run any sort of CPU intensive applications such as Logic or Final Cut Pro, etc. Not well at least.

The Atom was designed to be a low-power solution, e.g., run for 5 hours on battery power. It wasn't designed as a powerhouse. It runs about half as fast as a Core 2 Duo running at the same clock speed. The "netbooks" are meant to browse the Web, check email and other very basic tasks, not for any applications that require great amounts of CPU power.

6. champ01 thread starter Guest

as long as i can load something and do some basic editting its fine

Example:

open a channelstrip in logic, play or write some midi notes, load a plugin and save it
    that way it doesn't have to play the audio from the plugin

i don't need to render the video or play massive cpu killer plugins
    that process can be done in the studio or at home

my concern is will these applications open any sized project without doing anything else or will it involve lots of smoke and bye bye laptop :p

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Expecting to run an Apple pro app like Logic on a hackintosh is taking a big risk. Audio programs are very dependent on driver/hardware integration. I predict failure.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have a MSI Wind running OS X. It works wonderfully. Be sure you know the issues though.

1. WiFi does NOT work out of the box. You need to purchase another wifi card, open up the laptop and install it. Fortunately,they run for under $30 on ebay. Mine arrives on wednesday :D

2. Line in/out doesn't work. You get sound out of the speakers, and you can use a USB-audio connector but just plugging in headphones/mic doesn't work.

3. It's probably not very legal.

I had office running, Firefox open with a few web pages and itunes playing some music (had the laptop plugged into my router) and it worked very well. Nice and smooth and boots quickly to boot. Bluetooth, sleep function worked, and dual booting with XP is pretty easy (I'm in XP right now since I have now wifi in OS X).

It takes some doing but if you're up for it...

I've never used Final Cut so I don't know how well it would work. You can browse some msiwind forums and ask some of those people, they push the little laptops pretty hard.

9. Immi macrumors newbie

Would you happen to sell the orginal WLAN card? I own a Medion Akoya E1210 that comes without bluetooth. I would like to add bluetooth to my little gem.

Stephan

10. champ01 thread starter Guest

didn't someone make a tool for that and otherwise which one does work?
    thats really bad but could be just a driver issue right?
    no idea but could just as well be legal...

11. champ01 thread starter Guest

wanna buy a medion akoya e1210 tomorrow is there anything else thats different?

12. Cherimoya macrumors member

Yes the 1GB Ram is in the Ram Slot not on the main board so you'll need to replace it to upgrade to 2GB rather than just add another 1GB stick as on the Advent or Wind.

BTW OSX runs great on any of them. :)

13. champ01 thread starter Guest

don't think a 2GB stick will hurt my wallet :p (guess no more than 50,- euro's)

thnx for all the info folks :)

14. champ01 thread starter Guest

so i bought the medion akoya yesterday and i'm very happy :)
    comes with a nice bag and the power supply ain't that big

the keys feel good (not like those awful asus keys)
    the touchpad is not so good but works (scrolling up and down is very bad)

and now its time for a superdrive but which one?
    the one apple has is very beautiful but also slow and expensive :apple:

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

And will not work new out of the box.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

So, £330 for the MSI Wind, $30 for a replacement wifi card (and possibly an invalid warranty), €50 for 2GB RAM, you're getting mighty near the price of a second hand or refurb Macbook.

That refurb or second hand macbook will give you working everything, be upgradable to Leopard, run windows full speed, run FCP and other audio programs, have a far bigger HD, and a better resale value.

That's the conclusion I reach every time I look at running OSX on a msubnotebook. It's hard to compete with a second hand or refurb MB. (Even a Core Duo still runs faster, and most people can't tell the difference between a CD and a C2D in daily use)

17. champ01 thread starter Guest

your right but the problem is no more mr green plus can't wait and also like the size of this 10 inch laptop
    after the upgrades etc. (so i can run full leopard) its about €500,- in total maybe less if i'm lucky

that means:
    -10inch laptop with a free sleeve
    -better battery
    -2gb ram in place of 1 gb
    -external dvd rom or usb stick
    -wireless card with bluetooth

and after that sell what has been replaced

also i bought the laptop for use of only one year
    my mom can have it when i'm done with school ( now isn't that sweet :p )
    after that the itablet or macbook mini will be available and buy one of those

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:confused:

They Medion, Advent & Wind are EXACTLY the same machine only rebranded. Hardware wise they are identical. Even down to the poxy 3 Cell battery that now ships with the wind due to supply issues.

Medion Akoya Mini is €399
    Advent 4211 is €379
    Wind is €499

Unless you prefer the color options by the medion (white & silver/back) over the advent 4211 (black outside / silver inside) then there is little difference.

The Wind is ridiculously overpriced and I expect when they do finally ship to Europe in numbers they will do so with the upgraded 6 cell, otherwise they will have to come down in price as it is simply overpriced especially considering the E1000 is €450 online.

Edit... it seems that the medion Bluetooth is indeed optional ?... weird

Well in that case I'd go for the Advent as it comes as standard and is still cheaper. Head to pixmania.com and it can be picked up for €355