MSMoney user needs help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Paulasue51, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Paulasue51 macrumors newbie

I am a new MacBook Air user. Looking for an electronic bookkeeping system comparable to MSMoney. Tried iBank. Does anyone know if it is possible to set a re-occurring bill or deposit that will enter the checkbook automatically when due? Is There a better match to MSMoney out there somewhere?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

iBank seems to be one of the best mac alternatives at this time. Quicken Essentials for Mac has a very limited feature set. There is a new Quicken for Mac program in beta testing at this time, however, I don't know if the initial release version will be as full featured as MSMoney.

I think "scheduled transactions" is what you're looking for in iBank.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Maybe not ideal, but if you happen to have an extra Windows license laying around, you could install it with Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or VirtualBox and run MS Money itself from the virtual machine it creates.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Microsoft discontinued sales of Money on June 20, 2009. Most applications of the current era have just a few more features. Like 5 years worth.

Mint.com unless you're so old-school that it has to be local.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. You can set it to remind you to post the items XX days before the transaction date to just click the Post icon in the toolbar to do it manually. I have a few deposits and bill payments setup this way.

[​IMG]

6. Paulasue51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

Thanks to all for your replies, looks like I will just have to keep working at it and live with the limitations. Thanks for the "Scheduled Transactions" help, I had recorded some there, but when I posted them, they didn't renew. Looks like I recorded them in the wrong place. Thanks, again.

7. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

This subject pops up regularly. I find it very frustrating that there isn't a program for OS X (or, really, for Windows) that can beat MS Money. Quicken pulled out of the UK a long while ago and I changed to Money. It really is an excellent program and I keep a Windows PC just to run it (don't want to put Windows on my Mac).

I need software that deals not only with bank accounts but can cope with shares, OEIC's, Investment Trusts, keep an inventory of assets, predict future net worth etc. and preferably be able to properly import all my MS Money data from the last 10 years.

A bit of a tall order but surely there must be a market for this type of software? Or maybe not, given that both Quicken and Money have both abandoned their users in the UK.

8. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

MSMoney was a wonderful program, it's a shame Microsoft dumped it. Since getting my Mac, i have been using quicken Essentials for Mac and it has been handling everything without a problem. Why people hate so much I still don't get. But for me it is working absolutely wonderfully. I hear Quicken has a newer version for the Mac coming, but then again we don't know when.