Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kee123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
This is such a strange and sudden issue. I've used both these clients before, for a lengthy amount of time (on this same machine) and they've worked fine.
I switched back to the official MSN for Mac (latest version) from Adium for a short while, I still had it in installed from when I used to use it before I started using Adium. I have been using it fine for the past 2 weeks or so, when suddenly when I went to open the app (msn) it crashed upon signing in, I can't get a screenshot of the error as I'm on a different machine at the moment but it's just the standard 'Send report, don't send' error screen.
At this point, I wasn't too bothered, I assumed it would just be solved by a restart, but nope it still carried on doing the same thing. Then I reinstalled the program to see if that would fix it, but no, still crashing on the log in.
I then just thought, oh screw this I'll go back to Adium. I started up Adium, signed in and it did the same thing! It crashed just like MSN did, except the error report was obviously different, the one with the flaming Adium bird.

I've done nothing whatsoever to any of the apps and I've just been using the Mac like I have done for the past 6 months and it seems so strange for this to be doing it now.

The Mac I'm using is a Macbook Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz 512 Ram. If you need any other info, just ask.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
do a spotlight search on the apps, find the .plist file and drag it to your desktop and then try to launch. its possible that your preference file(s) are corrupted.

at least thats the first thing id try.

Kee123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Just moved the Info.plist from the Contents folder of MSN, and then launched it, I was given the first time setup window and after doing all that, I tried to log in and it says I'm not connected to the Internet (which I am).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.