Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Running Catalina on my early 2015 MacBook Air, and using MSN for my "main page"on Safari. The particular problem has happened in the past, went away, and has now reappeared big-time. Basically, when I log in MSN news comes up, but when I click on a particular article it will start to load, stop, and then sit there until I back up. Almost every, if not every article that comes up on the MSN page. Websites will load, but not articles. HOWEVER, if I go to File and select New Private Window, MSN articles will load! HOWEVER, if I got to File and then New Window, the articles will not load! Initially thought my problem might be the apartment building's wifi, but would think the fact that a New Private Window works would mean the wifi is working. When this happened before, I switched from MSN to Yahoo for awhile, then went back to MSN later and MSN had started working. For those of you who say call Microsoft, I have and they stop listening as soon as Mac and Safari are mentioned. Does anyone have an idea?

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I would like to say that my problem has been resolved but not sure I can. I can say that the problem seems to have gone away "for the moment". This morning I turned my computer off, then restarted after about an hour. Now the MSN news articles will load when I select them. Before this I had put my computer to sleep very night and every tim it sat unused for awhile, and that never solved the problem.

Now my questions are why did turning the computer help, and why earlier did going to new private window without turning the computer off help?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
The fact that they load fine in a private window would seem to indicate that there's something cached that's causing the issue. Go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data and clear out anything related to MSN and then try again.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
The fact that they load fine in a private window would seem to indicate that there's something cached that's causing the issue. Go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data and clear out anything related to MSN and then try again.
Benshive, I went to the Manage Website Data location and found a staggering number of entires indicating caches besides the one for MSN. I also see that there is an option to delete them all. I plan to delete the one for MSN, but should I just remove all of the caches while there? Pros? Cons?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Benshive, I went to the Manage Website Data location and found a staggering number of entires indicating caches besides the one for MSN. I also see that there is an option to delete them all. I plan to delete the one for MSN, but should I just remove all of the caches while there? Pros? Cons?
You'll be fine if you remove all of those. Some sites might take a little longer to load the first time you visit them and you'll have to login again to any online accounts you were using. It may also fix some other minor issues you weren't aware of yet. But I think just clearing the one for MSN is necessary for this.

Reactions: jparker402

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
You'll be fine if you remove all of those. Some sites might take a little longer to load the first time you visit them and you'll have to login again to any online accounts you were using. It may also fix some other minor issues you weren't aware of yet. But I think just clearing the one for MSN is necessary for this.
Thank you very much!

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
May have been happy a bit too soon! After about an hour, MSN won't load articles again except in New Private Window! Drat MSN!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.