MSN for Mac and Word....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erin6277, Mar 29, 2008.

1. erin6277 macrumors newbie

i have 2 problems at the moment.

When i open Word, like a new document, the page isnt blank and text on it from a document i was sent last year. Instead of it being a new blank document....it always has that document and i cant find a way to change it!

my 2nd problem is with msn.
    I'm at college in the US (im from Australia), and my msn wont work. All my roommates can use it on their laptops, but mine doesnt work. Yahoo works, but i really need msn. When i went to some friends houses off campus...it worked.

Ive updated it and always get the same message saying I'm not connected to the internet or the service is unavailable.....but it must be because everyone else can use it.

Does anyone have any solutions!! MSN is the only way i can talk to all my friends back home!

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Word starts up by running a template file called normal.dot (by default), you may have saved a document to that template and that is why it keeps turning up. Use spotlight to find the normal.dot file and save a blank document as normal.dot in the same location.
    You could try alternate messenger such as Adium.

3. erin6277 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...but the option for word doesnt seem to work and adium isnt letting me talk to my contacts who are online

why wont msn work for me...but will for my roommates?:confused:

4. suprajoe macrumors member

uninstall and reinstall word (it is a MS product...I'm being sarcastic)

as far as MSN???? Maybe something happened in your Firewall. Hopefully you have that turned on, if not, TURN IT ON!!!

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I haven't heard good things about the MSN or AIM clients for Mac. They tend to be buggy and updated too infrequently. Try using Adium or something like that, which will allow you to connect to the MSN service, but it's just a different client. It's a very good application that you can use to connect to most instant message services like MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc. If you still have trouble, then it's an internet problem. Try checking your firewall like suggested above. System Pref -> Security -> Firewall and make sure your messaging application is allowed.