MSN for Mac - Annoying Issue - Advice?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GGMagic, Feb 27, 2009.

1. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

For some unknown reason, my MSN on on my mac is acting up.

Heres the issue:

When I have a conversation box open, and I am chatting with someone, I type a message to them in the typing field (or w.e its called) and press enter to send the message.

NOW for some unknown reason, after I press enter and send the message, the CURSOR is NO LONGER in the typing field, and in order for me to start typing again, I have to re-click in the field, where the cursor then re-appears and I can proceed to type my next message. I have NO idea why this is occurring.

I have un-installed, and re-installed MSN. I have downloaded the latest version of MSN for Mac. I cannot understand what is going on. Is there a preference in my System Prefs that I have to change or something?!

Please, any advice is appreciated!

2. Whiteman007 macrumors member

I would try out Adium its very good. msn for mac is buggy.

3. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Have you installed the safari 4 beta by any chance?

4. backblade macrumors newbie

Definitely safari 4 is causing this problem. I installed safari 4 the other night and i had the same problem, but after i uninstall safari 4 everything was back to normal. Not only MSN would have a problem, but you will have a major problem with windows live email. You won't be able to click anywhere in the inbox. Take off safari 4 and you will be alright :p

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Advice: Don't use Microsoft's MSN client. It's a pretty poor client in my experience. Use Adium instead.

7. blythy macrumors member

8. phenixbleu macrumors member

Same Here

I have been having the same problem with msn messenger. I have a feeling i could be safari 4 or the new msn messenger ill will have to fill a bug to Microsoft. I already did one for apple

9. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Another +1 for Adium. Excellent piece of software.

10. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

i have that same problem =X damn safari 4...i hope the real release fixes this issue

11. petemwah macrumors regular

+1 for adium, really is the best msn client i've ever used. not just on a mac, but ever...

it's fantastic...

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I like Adium and Pidgin. I use Adium on my Macs, Pidgin on my *nix boxes. I don't really use IM all that much, but for the times that I do, both programs perform admirably. (They are, after all, based on many of the same libraries.)

13. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

This problem is related to Safari 4 Beta. There is already a thread about this.

What I find strange is that as soon as somebody asks something about Messenger, all the answers say to use Adium ... which is really off topic. The question wasn't "what is a good alternative to Messenger", was it ? :confused:

T.

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yeah, but if the problem is due to a bug in MSN (which it likely is -- anything that uses the public API for doing stuff with WebKit almost never breaks with new major versions of Safari), suggesting alternatives is not unwarranted IMO.

15. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The issue was a WebKit bug, and is already fixed in a subsequent nightly build of WebKit. Here's the bug from webkit.org: 41276.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

16. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well I'll be darned. I take that back. Guess that's why it's a beta :D