MSN for Mac OS X?

Redbull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about subscribing for more alternative options of messenger etc...

But, is it worth it? ($9 per month?) - I do use MSN frequently. Also, will I be able to use my iSight on MSN messenger if I subscribed?.

Thanks a lot

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Redbull said:

But, is it worth it? ($9 per month?) - I do use MSN frequently. Also, will I be able to use my iSight on MSN messenger if I subscribed?.

Thanks a lot
iSight, I believe that is a no for MSN messanger. I would get an AIM name, which you can use iChat and your iSight. Also, yahoo messanger can be setup to do a video chat, but one way, so the other person doesn't need to have a webcam. They can see you without you seeing them.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
Redbull said:

Thanks a lot
isight on mess for mac, 'fraid not. i have a redundant isight and ichat is not v popular in uk. Anyway, who wants to see my ugly face.

you can on AIM apparently (cross platform)
unless im corrected by others

Redbull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
United Kingdom
varmit said:
iSight, I believe that is a no for MSN messanger.
Bummer! - well I've just set up a AIM account now. But, who the hell has got a OS X with an iSight!?. All my friends and family are on Windows.

I have a very good feeling like Rogerw said, it will be a b'tard to use in UK and it probably end up redundant too. Ah well, not a lot I can do. I don't think I'll bother with pay month MSN - just use MSN 4.0.

Thanks

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Redbull said:
Bummer! - well I've just set up a AIM account now. But, who the hell has got a OS X with an iSight!?. All my friends and family are on Windows.

I have a very good feeling like Rogerw said, it will be a b'tard to use in UK and it probably end up redundant too. Ah well, not a lot I can do. I don't think I'll bother with pay month MSN - just use MSN 4.0.

Thanks
What are you talking about, paying for msn? Am I missing something?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The iSight via iChat should work with your AIM connections.

MSN Messenger is Free.

Also, Yahoo Messenger, and AIM for Mac should support the iSight.

TEG

steller

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
I believe you are only subscribing to the service. Msn messenger is the same for premium or the version I have. Since Msn messenger is a freeware, they won't charge you for a better version. Plus, if there was really one, i would have subscribed it myself already.

Redbull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm getting slightly confused here too, so to clear this up - MSN messenger 4.0 is the latest download right?. The 4.0 one has a white background but the one above in my post link is blue? :confused:

Could someone elaborate this offically or give me a direct link?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
We are talking about two different pieces of software here.

MSN: Internet Connection, Gateway, MSN Explorer Mac - $9/month

MSN Messenger: Instant Messenger for Mac - Free

MSN for Mac is a waste of money if you already have an internet connection. Stick with messenger and just make sure its up to date. Also look into Adium (http://www.adiumx.com) which has some interesting video capabilities built-in, and works with nearly every messaging service available.

TEG

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
TEG said:
We are talking about two different pieces of software here.

MSN: Internet Connection, Gateway, MSN Explorer Mac - $9/month

MSN Messenger: Instant Messenger for Mac - Free

MSN for Mac is a waste of money if you already have an internet connection. Stick with messenger and just make sure its up to date. Also look into Adium (http://www.adiumx.com) which has some interesting video capabilities built-in, and works with nearly every messaging service available.

TEG
AFAIK Adium does not have any video capabilities in it as of yet.

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
On the subject of IMs, is there something like Trillian for Mac os x, that can sign into multiple IM networks, e.g MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc. ?

Redbull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
United Kingdom
Diatribe said:
Mercury supports video for msn if one needs it.
When it is available, will it support the iSight? - I assume not :rolleyes:

If not, the only software that supports the iSight are Yahoo, AIM or iChat.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Adium does not have any audio or video capabilities. But as far as normal chatting's concerned, it can't be beat (especially when you have accounts in AIM, MSN, Yahoo and ICQ).

On a different note, according to AOL, their newly implemented video chat in AIM is compatible with iChat. A friend and I tried a voice chat (me using iChat and he using AIM on a PC) with no success, so I'm sure it's not very seamless.

Give it a try though! Let me know how it works. We probably had Firewall/ router issues.

Oh, and have you looked at skype? (www.skype.com). It's just audio, but it's free and it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.