MSN / Hotmail on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by standingquiet, Apr 25, 2010.

1. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Still getting to grips with the change from Windows to Mac. All the years i was on Windows i have used MSN and Hotmail all my friends use it and has been the norm, now on Mac i read MSN is not that great. Ok alot of the posts i've read are pretty old but most seem to recommend Adium. But i'm wondering if this is the best option currently?

I see you can get a beta version on MSN 8 for mac which includes webcam and audio chat, but full of bugs still.

As for hotmail, what's the best way to run it through OS X mail? for example izymail?

I would love to use the Mac stuff but only 1 or 2 friends use Mac's hopefully the rest will see the light one day.

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Go for Adium, that MSN beta is awful sadly.

I used MSN for mac for ages, didnt know there was anything else. When I started using Adium it took a little while to get used to it, but its way better really. If you need to use a cam then just grab aMSN too.

3. standingquiet thread starter macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Would aMSN be better for me as i only use MSN ?

4. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Personally i only use MSN too, the occasional need for ICQ but not enough to use it on that basis, and I still prefer Adium. You dont HAVE to make other accounts on it. Try them both out, see what feels right ;)

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I guess that depends if you use any of the extra features (webcam, offline messaging, etc.) that Adium doesn't support. There's nothing wrong with using Adium for only one account, although I was only using MSN when I started using Adium and now I use 12 accounts on 9 different protocols, so I guess that's a real cautionary tale there. ;)

Adium is great for its level of customizability and OS X integration, anyway.

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

I use both really, prefer Adium cos' it just feels more right, like you said better integration, and just looks cleaner and smoother, more native than aMSN (subjective things I admit). If I want/need to use cam I just log into aMSN.. best of both worlds :cool:

8. standingquiet thread starter macrumors 6502

standingquiet

what does growl do?

9. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

The little pop up messages in the corner when someone signs in or sends you a message etc.... does that!

But it integrates with so many applications, 18 for me!

10. standingquiet thread starter macrumors 6502

standingquiet

ahh ok so i take it thats something that Adium does not do then

11. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

He should never have posted that really. Growl is just a notification service, if you download and open Adium it will alert you that its going to install Growl. So you have to need to download anything else.