MSN - mercury? adium?

kent_ridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
I'm using both Mercury and Adium to sign into my MSN account and generally I prefer Mercury but the problem is that it hangs and not respond quite often, 2-3 times today, and I have to force quit. Any comments? Before I removed the orginal mercury folder, they gave me lots of errors that I had to delete the files and reinstall to log in.

Is Adium made not to show new incoming mails? That's the only thing I dislike about Adium.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
kent_ridge said:
Is Adium made not to show new incoming mails? That's the only thing I dislike about Adium.
Adium can do this, you need to look around the options for your MSN account.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
what version of mercury are you useing? 1709 is still in beta so it may be dodgy on your mac.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have tried them both and by far - adium is the best, its just much nicer in my opinion!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Try Proteus.. very pretty and shows incoming e-mails, etc.. Adium is good too, I've used both, and they're both good. I just don't organize contacts in groups, and I prefer Proteus' message center, so I'm a Proteus user.

Aside from webcam support, get away from Mercury, Java apps are ugly and often sluggish. Gaim-vv will be out sometime soon, and I'm sure Proteus and Adium will pick up the standard.

kent_ridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Explored around but I still can't find the incoming mail alert thing.

Ya, I'm still using 1709.

Mercury starts itself everytime I on my powerbook. Any idea where the options to disable this is?

Sorry, really am really new at this. =\

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Don't worry, I'm new at this too. I've only ever used Adium, but since I don't believe the smilies in Adium show up right in Messenger, I can't be bothered to use it.

Also, I'm looking into Mercury once they get video chat up and running! :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Abstract said:
I've only ever used Adium, but since I don't believe the smilies in Adium show up right in Messenger, I can't be bothered to use it.
Sounds like you need smilie packs, available off www.adiumxtras.com

kent_ridge said:
This should help...

Attachments

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
kent_ridge said:

Ya, I'm still using 1709.

Mercury starts itself everytime I on my powerbook. Any idea where the options to disable this is?

Sorry, really am really new at this. =\
if it's dodgy downgrade to 1708 thats the latest stable release, to make it so it dose not start on it's own just go into system preferences/accounts/login items then delete mercury, personally i never turn my ibook off, there is no point so this never bothers me.

kent_ridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Okie.. I just deleted mercury off my powerbook since I guess I won't be using it.