MSN messenger 5.0

bazzler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Does anyone know what the full feature set of messenger 5.0 will be? ive seen a pic of it , and the only new practical feature is that now you can set your own pic and see pc messenger users pics. No games, no custom smileys, no webcam. Lame.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
bazzler said:
Does anyone know what the full feature set of messenger 5.0 will be? ive seen a pic of it , and the only new practical feature is that now you can set your own pic and see pc messenger users pics. No games, no custom smileys, no webcam. Lame.
I believe there is also better VNC support now inversion 5.0. For businesses this is a big thing.

M$ always seems to loose out the audio and webcam features on Mac, this is how they can make Windows "look more capable" in this regard. :rolleyes:

Anyhow though it would be nice, another client might pick up the feature. And I believe iChat will have Jabber support that is a +. :)

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
maya said:
I believe there is also better VNC support now inversion 5.0. For businesses this is a big thing.

M$ always seems to loose out the audio and webcam features on Mac, this is how they can make Windows "look more capable" in this regard. :rolleyes:

Anyhow though it would be nice, another client might pick up the feature. And I believe iChat will have Jabber support that is a +. :)

What is Jabber?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
maya said:

Hmmm yet another IM client. So what does it do that MSN/AIM/Yahoo/etc. can't?

I would love to see msn support in iChat but i somehow I feel it won't happen soon. MSN is a great IM program, IF you're using windows. I just use AdiumX which is only marginally better than MSN for mac. Both are a bit lacking in features. But, hey, its better than nothing right? :rolleyes:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Adium

Yeah, I use Adium now too (after trying a few other ones like Proteus and Fire). Adium supports MSN pictures and of course it also connects me to AIM, Yahoo and ICQ. It's everything I need except of course webcam chatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.