Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hello there,

I use an external webcam with Msn messenger 8. But when I click on video, it says that the webcam I use is not functional because my lid is closed of course connecting my mbp to an external display. There is no place where I can choose to use the external webcam that works fine in all the other programs?

God, I think the MSN team are like the slowest idiots on earth. No offline message again!

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
God, I think the MSN team are like the slowest idiots on earth. No offline message again!

It could just be that the team isnt very large, and they are implementing stuff as fast as they can. Do you really think Microsoft cares that much about Mac users... Nope, No they dont, so they wont bother creating something that has every single feature of its Windows counterpart - their goal is to get you to use a PC Running windows - Mac Messenger 8 is buggy as heck anyway (I still only use 7 as 8 wont even run properly for me - it just maxs the CPU and throws a fit) - Just switch to an alternate chat client - Adium works well enough for me on my Macs :)

Last edited:

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
It could just be that the team isnt very large, and they are implementing stuff as fast as they can. Do you really think Microsoft cares about Mac users... Nope, No they dont, so they wont bother creating something that works - their goal is to get you to use a PC Running windows - Mac Messenger 8 is buggy as heck anyway (I still only use 7 as 8 wont even run properly for me - it just maxs the CPU and throws a fit) - Just switch to an alternate chat client - Adium works well enough for me on my Macs :)

But Adium has no webcam function at all.

I recently tested out MSN 8 for Mac that came with my beta of Office 2011.
And guess what:
It worked. I could chat, and use the webcam in combination with the microphone. I'm working on a MacBook from mid 2008, for your info.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
yes but the thing is I can't run an external webcam for it....if I don't use my isight, it won't work!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.