Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxymoronica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hi all! I'm intending to get a Macbook Pro, but there is one particular issue that makes me hesitant on purchasing one.

I've heard (from friends) and read (in mostly forums) that that are issues with appearing offline and/or signing in (and staying connected) on MSN?

Also, can I do group conversations on the Messenger on Mac (or maybe Adium? aMSN?) :confused:

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I use messenger for mac every so often, and I don't have any issues with appearing offline. However, the mac version is very poor in features compared to the windows version. It's awful actually, and the public beta is very buggy. Hopefully the new messenger in office 2011 will be much better, but it still looks to be worse than the current windows version from looking at the beta.

When I really have to use messenger to chat with others, I use a windows vm and the windows version of messenger. Also, aMSN and adium still don't have all the functionality of the windows version either but are good programs on the whole.

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
If you're going Mac forget about MSN. It is terrible in all ways
I also have problems If I want to put my status:appearing Offline, after a while my friends don't get my messages and Im logged out
options for me:
1-iChat through Nimbuss
2-Palringo
3-Skype
Since I went Mac, I never did video chatting again :(

oxymoronica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
If you're going Mac forget about MSN. It is terrible in all ways
I also have problems If I want to put my status:appearing Offline, after a while my friends don't get my messages and Im logged out
options for me:
1-iChat through Nimbuss
2-Palringo
3-Skype
Since I went Mac, I never did video chatting again :(

Oh dear! I can't ever abandon MSN because where I live, ALL my friends use MSN (and quite rarely, Skype) :( Looks like I'm going to have to make do with the flaws of Mac's MSN!

THANKS! ;)

oxymoronica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I use messenger for mac every so often, and I don't have any issues with appearing offline. However, the mac version is very poor in features compared to the windows version. It's awful actually, and the public beta is very buggy. Hopefully the new messenger in office 2011 will be much better, but it still looks to be worse than the current windows version from looking at the beta.

When I really have to use messenger to chat with others, I use a windows vm and the windows version of messenger. Also, aMSN and adium still don't have all the functionality of the windows version either but are good programs on the whole.

Sounds like I'm going to have a really hard time adapting to Mac's MSN :(

What do you mean by "I use a windows vm and........"???

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Group conversations still work perfectly fine, I can vouch this for you. As far as appearing offline, I've never had any issues at all.

I used Adium for awhile and it's decent but, really, has no more functionality then MSN for mac so I'd rather take MSN, as much as I hate windows I generally trust them.

I also tried Mercury which was pretty good except I wouldn't suggest it. It was fine for about a month then started eating up CPU, like 95% of it.

You get used to MSN for mac pretty quick though. It's not perfect and certainly isn't up to par but it's not bad.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Sounds like I'm going to have a really hard time adapting to Mac's MSN :(

What do you mean by "I use a windows vm and........"???

I run a windows virtual machine with vmware fusion so that I can run the windows version of messenger. I keep the vm around for messenger, anydvd, and clonedvd2. I haven't been able to find good mac equivalents of those 3 programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.