Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikey.c

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The one thing I miss about my PC is the MSN Messanger,
MSN messanger for MAC has no Webcam, WHY? , so we have to pay for a .MAC membership,
I can't expect all my friends & family who arn't even MAC users to pay to join, just so we can have a video chat.

Is there an alternative ? if so Please let me know.

keithpetey

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
use ichat av. it uses the aim network, but just be sure that you use a firewire camera because it was designed not to work with usb cameras. i heard of a program that lets you use usb cameras. just do a search on google for like usb camera ichat. and yes msn messenger for mac sucks. but it does look alot prettier than the alternatives.

keith

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
mikey.c said:
The one thing I miss about my PC is the MSN Messanger,
MSN messanger for MAC has no Webcam, WHY?
Because it's made by Microsoft. Join the dots, maybe there's a reason they might want to make the Macintosh version substandard?

richie_davis

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
good IM clients

There are 2 good, free instant messenger clients that can access the MSN, as well as Yahoo and AOL networks:

-- fire.sourceforge.net
-- adium.sourceforge.net

richie_davis

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Don't need iMac subscription for webcam

You don't need to buy the iMac subscription for the iChat/webcam. All you need to do is get a free .mac address (which remains valid, whether or not you subscribe to iChat) at: http://www.mac.com/1/ichat.html

Or, you can just get an AIM screen name, also free.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
rhpenguin said:
also you can use aMSN.. Just google for it.

There was a program, dMSN which is now Mercury Messenger like I have posted in another thread. They are developing webcam features right now for MSN on the mac. Just wait.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
But what do you guys use instead?

So far I've used mainly
amsn (pops up chatwindows ramdomly)
proteus (regular problems when transferring files)
but also adium (quackediquack)
and mercury (takes forever to open and seems to run in slowmotion occasionally)

has anyone got the perfect app to recommend?

-squirrel

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
PickledSquirrel said:
But what do you guys use instead?

So far I've used mainly
amsn (pops up chatwindows ramdomly)
proteus (regular problems when transferring files)
but also adium (quackediquack)
and mercury (takes forever to open and seems to run in slowmotion occasionally)

has anyone got the perfect app to recommend?

-squirrel

If you don't like Adium's quacking, just change the sound scheme. I use the iChat sound scheme for Adoum and I love the app to bits.

If you want good audio chats, get Skype. http://www.skype.com/

giveup

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2004
Canton
this type of pain has lasted so long, there are so perfect way to video chat with Win friends.(waiting for Tiger)
iVisit is a cross platform video solution, but has limited time use till paid for it. The video is fine but audio is horrible.
Skype is the best audio chat app I have ever used, maybe you can combine both program.
BTW, you must courage your win friends to install this two app, I wish you good luck.

milzay

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
I use aMSN and find it really good, you can get the teme that looks like MSN Messenger 4, and it does a few cool things.
The windows randomly popping up are becuase people have opened a chat window with you.
You can see when people close the convo window
Also lots of stuff is open in options.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
richie_davis said:
There are 2 good, free instant messenger clients that can access the MSN, as well as Yahoo and AOL networks:

-- fire.sourceforge.net
-- adium.sourceforge.net

proteusx.com is a shareware alternative.. its free to use, and there are no limitations to not buying it, except a small pop up at the beginning.. it's probably the most attractive looking of all the alternatives.

EDIT: what problems are you having? file transfer works perfectly.. are you behind a firewall? or are the people you are sending files to behind a firewall?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
mox358 said:
Anybody else think this looks like MSN's crappy feature set grafted onto a crappy implementation of the iChat look ? The original iChat that is, before any multimedia feature set :(

Just my 2 cents.
After looking at the linked article, I see where you're coming from...but I don't see the resemblance to iChat for some reason.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
all IM clients are a big hype ICQ,MSN,AIM etc... easy solution, everyone should just go back to IRC and all the glam would be over, just text no fancy stuff to complain about :)

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
rickvanr said:
EDIT: what problems are you having? file transfer works perfectly.. are you behind a firewall? or are the people you are sending files to behind a firewall?

Nope, no firewall. Just file transfer not starting, quitting mid-transfer, or transfer prompt not appearing on the screen of who ever I'm trying to transfer files to. Plus I occasionally have issues with text not reaching the "other end of the line" I have just updated proteus now, so lets see if it helps....

-Squirrel

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Messenger 5 looks like crap. No surprise. :rolleyes:

M$ will always cripple the Mac version, why do you think that might be? :rolleyes:

AIM is mainly used in USA. :eek:

MSN and Yahoo network mainly dominate outside USA. :p

Get new friends, that is a thought, NOT. :rolleyes:

Get a Life, now that is something, NEW. ;)

Where is my audio support with the gaim network and how long before AdiumX supports it? This is taking way too long. Time for me to write an IM client. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.