Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
I just got my Powerbook G4 today. I installed the MSN Messenger for Mac v3.5, but the file transfer feature wouldn't work. I don't think my connection has a firewall, so what's the solution to this issue? TIA!!

raytube

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2003
Scotland
Hi,
It's worth checking if the person you're transferring too has a firewall. In a previous version of MSN messenger for Windows XP file transfer was stopped by XP's own in built firewall! It seems to work now in the latest version so you might want to check that out if you're transferring to an XP user.

Also, check in your Sharing preference under the firewall tab. You should probably have a few things ticked in there, you shouldn't need to do anything particular there as I have no problem with the default settings. I just tried it between my powerbook and my XP box (which uses the latest version of messenger) and it worked fine.

Hope you get it sorted!

Rick

maqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by raytube
Hi,
It's worth checking if the person you're transferring too has a firewall...

Rick

Thanks Rick

I checked the Firewall tab under Sharing. Nothing was ticked as default. I clicked on "new" and found the MSN Messenger (6891-6900) option, so I addede it to the list, then ticked it. But still it didn't make any difference.

I can transfer files with this person on my PC with same connection just fine. He has either v6.0 or v6.1, which shouldn't have the problems that the old versions had.

Not too happy with this, but I don't even know who to blame, MSN or Mac...

raytube

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2003
Scotland
Hi,
I would still get your friend to check they have the latest version of Messenger as it was only very recently that this was resolved. Also make sure they have MSN Messenger and not just Windows Messenger that comes as standard. MSN Messenger is just nicer to use and seems to work better. I think Windows messenger is still at something like V4.7.

Anyway, hope you get it resolved, if I think of anything else I'll post again,

Rick

maqq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Hi Rick,

You were right. First I tried file transfering with another friend, everything was fine. Then I tried it with the one who I had problems with, I could send files to him, but I couldn't receive from him. He has the latest MSN Messenger 6.1, but he's on a campus network which I think might be where the problem is.

Thanks Rick appriecate it

raytube

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2003
Scotland
Hi,
Glad you've found the source of the problem. It doesn't surprise me that you might encounter file transfer problems with someone at an educational institution, often these places will have that kind of file transfer blocked.
At least you can actually chat on it though, some places block IM apps completely.

Cheers,

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.