MSN Messenger For Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emmilyalyssa, Oct 4, 2010.

1. emmilyalyssa macrumors newbie

I downloaded msn messenger for mac when I got my mac about two months ago.
    It stopped working a few weeks ago (not sending/receiving messages) so I deleted it the other day out of my applications window, and tried to re-download a different version of it. When I do this, and try to log in, it tells me that the system cannot log me in. I don't understand if it is just the msn or if I need to completely remove the msn from my computer, and if that's the case, how do I do that?
    I'm new to mac computers, so please help me out!

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

While I can't comment directly on the MSN app problem. I'd recommend downloading and using Adium. It's a great IM client that lets you connect to many IM services including MSN and it works like a champ.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I had my share of frustrations with Messenger for Mac but 8.0 is leaps ahead of 7.x. Display pictures stay (and you can actually see other display pictures), font settings are retained after exit, personal messages are saved and appear even after exit, FINALLY get voice and video calls and there are other small things that are improved. With Office 2011 coming by months end, look for Messenger for Mac 8.0 to be available for download.

As for removing Messenger, just drag the application (in Applications folder) into the trash. Preference files will be overwritten so you don't need to worry about that. While you wait and if you don't want to download other IM's, make sure you download Messenger from www.microsoft.com/mac.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

You sound like you have access to a newer version of messenger 8 than the public beta?

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

use adium or use pidgin, if its available for os x - i havent taken the time yet to google pidgin for mac :p

oh and ive been told msn is a cpu hog, memory hog and lags the OS on mac OS X.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Try appcleaner and uninstall MSN like that and remove any traces of MSN. Then install it again.

7. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

Adium works well, however Adium and pidgin are not really getting updated anymore. All the new stuff does video chat. yahoo for mac, skype for mac, ichat, MS live messanger for mac, all do video chat. Even in the linux word the newer OSes are all switches off pidgin to Empathy.

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Yeah, can you comment on this?

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There is the final version floating around the net, version 8.0 (100825). Other than what's been said above, I really don't have anything more to say. Hopefully Microsoft releases it as a separate download before releasing Office 2011 instead of releasing it together which I think was originally planned.

10. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Ah ok, its great to hear its all working well for when its finally released.

11. jon08 macrumors 68000

I have Messenger 8.0, but for some reason it won't recognize my Custom Emoticons!! In previous versions of Messenger I simply drag-n-dropped the whole emoticons folder into the Microsoft Messenger Data folder, and it worked. But now they don't appear among the default Messenger emoticons in the app.

Could someone help me out here?

Thanks

12. rawd macrumors regular

Version 8 crashed on me literally seconds after installing it. Uninstalled it and went back to Adium

13. circularforward macrumors 6502

Was it the beta? It would crash on me every other moment it seemed that it was unuseable. However, I have not had the final version crash on me yet.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sorry to hijack the thread but quick question, with ver. 8 (FINAL), does Messenger hang or stall a bit before exiting? Ver. 7.x quit immediately after quitting but 8 seems to stall a bit before actually quitting the application.

15. circularforward macrumors 6502

When I quit it, the contact list disappears and shows the initial sign-in screen. It'll stall at the sign-in screen for about 2 seconds and then fully quit.

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

It hangs for me as well before exit. Good to hear it wasn't only me.

17. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

18. rawd macrumors regular

Final

Same version thats included in a certain application suite thats floating around the web

19. jon08 macrumors 68000

+1

20. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Anyone else not able to log into msn via messenger for mac (both 7 and 8) today? Amsn, beejive and adium all log in but not messenger?

21. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I'm on v.8 beta and no problems here.

22. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I agree with this.

I currently have not noticed such an issue, if you would like to completely remove the application take a look at AppZapper or CleanMyMac – that is if Messenger does not have its own uninstall tool.

Best of luck!

23. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

The version that comes with Office 2011 seems really stable, has video calls etc

Kimbie

24. marcos73 macrumors newbie

No display picture

I downloaded the final 8 version last night. I noticed some improvements from version 7 (now I am able to see my contact pictures), but my own is still not displayed.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? Any fixes?

Cheers
    Marcos

25. Creditcard macrumors member

MSN 8 also triggers the Nvidia gpu.. which is lame:eek: