MSN Messenger for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mustnt grumble, Jun 18, 2007.

1. mustnt grumble macrumors newbie

Greetings. Does anyone know ho to disable the annoying drop down menu on messenger that stores the email addresses of anyone who logs in?

I'm sure you can do it on a pc, hopefully it hasn't been disabled on the Mac conversion.

Many thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Please, please, please switch to Adium. You won't regret it. Its a million times better than the crap MS gives us :)

I use these plug ins:
    Style
    Dock icon

Video is in the pipeline, but for now I use Mercury when I need it...

3. mustnt grumble thread starter macrumors newbie

But do all my contacts from msn have Adium? I've just made the switch from a pc, but don't want to have to get new mates!

4. mustnt grumble thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, should have clicked the link first-you can access msn with that? Care to give me a quick overview on how it works?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, contacts are stored on the MSN server, so it doesn't matter what client you use to connect to it

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Adium is just a program, you can use it to connect to MSN, AOL, Yahoo, Jabber, Gtalk, ICQ, just about any IM service you want, all at the same time if you want. Your friends wont even know any difference, you'll keep chatting to them just the same.

7. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

To answer the original question, I think you have to delete the plist or application cache or something ridiculous like that to clear the list.

Also, if you're only using MSN, Mercury Messenger has many more features than Adium.

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I tried Mercury, I really really tried to use it (a friend was constantly badgering me to use it in preference to anything else) but I found that Adium is just so much more reliable and stable. ...could be just me.

9. djon41 macrumors regular

video finally? where did you hear this? its my only complaint about adium...otherwise its awesome.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well really its a long way off. I don't know what ever happened to GAIM-vv i think it died. Video is a LONG way off.

11. brandon6684 Guest

The Adium team seems to be waiting for Gaim/Pidgin to get the back end stuff together, which may or may not happen after that mess with Gaim-VV, but I think they are already looking forward to at least putting the right hooks in Adium to support voice and video if it ever shows up.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They are putting in the right parts to adium this summer with the google summer of code. They will be putting http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX into it from what i have heard. But also some of the things needed if libpurple gets it completed eventually.

13. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Does it work with ichat? Probably not is my guess. I suppose ichat is for apple to apple users only all using ichat. Am I right here or no?

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

iChat works on the AIM network, so if you use AIM then you can use it no matter what client the people you are talking to use. it just only works with AIM not MSN or anyother instant messenger.

15. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

yeah mercury isnt bad, it seems pretty much fullly functional for MSN...perhaps minus the shared folders.

it sux at webcaming though, in photo booth the cam on my MBP is very crisp and sharp, in mercury its blurry as hell, and it only goes about 1fps....useless and everytime it refreshes the webcam view the program sticks....so you can be typing, then the computer will stop typing on screen while the webcam updates, and then the last couple of letters you just typed pop onto screen

its annoyign becuase i keep thinking ive not hit the keys right

also, it wont remember my display name, for some reason it keeps reverting back to a display name i used donkeys ago, probably a result of the last time i used web messenger or something.

but then again adium doesnt have webcam so....