MSN Messenger for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fragglerocker, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fragglerocker macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have downloaded MSN Messenger for Mac and each time I log in, I am being asked to confirm that each of my contacts are to be 'allowed'; and then, I am 'appearing offline' to other contacts, despite showing as 'available' on my system.

Is this a known problem? Can anyone offer any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks.

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

The official MSN app rarely works well. It's known for such problems.

I suggest downloading Adium or aMSN instead.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

Plus the official MSN Mac is very feature limited.

4. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

That happened to my I tried the beta version and the stable version, both had the same issue.

Delete the .plist file and start again, I suggest to use the stable version.

But I prefer Adium... is more configurable

5. ELLEfaba macrumors newbie

The same thing happens to me as well...i log on and ALL of my contacts are blocked and it asks me whether I want to add ALL of my existing contacts to my contacts list in alphabetical order. When I try to unblock them, it doesn't work.

I only have this problem with one email account. My other email works just fine still...

I don't understand what the problem is...it is rather frustrating seeing how most of my contacts are on the one email that isn't working...whereas family contacts are on the email that does work...

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Use aMSN. If you've no need for webcam capabilities, then adium is your best bet for an IM app under osx.

7. psid macrumors member

I had the same problem and solved it by clearing the account history. Sign out if you are already signed in, select "Sign in with a different account or change your online status" and there is a "Clear Account History" button there.

8. genkib macrumors newbie

It didn't seem to work for me even after I did that and deleted the cache files as others have suggested.

Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance~

This is so frustrating...

And switching to Adium doesn't fix this problem either...it seems Adium only propagates your current contact list from MSN so once the MSN version is corrupted, the Adium version has the same persistent problem...