MSN Messenger:MAC certificate

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mixmacface, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

Alright kiddos - I'm not an idiot (although I haven't been here in foreverrr.) but I need help & my tech guys at my school are idiots.

Here's the situation: Last week, I couldn't connect to the school internet (WPA2:enterprise, using Cisco Clean Access, wireless) and so I deleted my preferences for my wireless network so I could re-connect - it worked, but I have found that I am missing a MSN Messenger:MAC certificate. I've cleared my messenger history (which helped once upon a time), deleted (with CleanMyMac) messenger, reinstalled it, deleted the plist, cache, downloaded Adium, disabled my firewall, made exception for my firewall (added Messenger as an exception.) and I just cannot connect. I should probably mention that I'm running MSN Messenger:MAC 8.. the newest edition that just came out. The last update that I did with my mac was the Java update that came out about a week or two ago.

My sign-in screen just hangs, and then it eventually stops trying to sign in. Adium says "Error: Reading error" and eventually stops trying to connect & says "Network Offline". I think what I need (for my school's network) is the certificate that authenticates it with clean access. But I know it's not the servers/my machine because I was at a local coffee shop & was able to connect messenger there, no problem. I've even gone so far as to delete Clean Access, and all that jazz. I've done everything short of wiping my system clean (extreme? definitely.)

I'm computer literate, so somewhat-advanced techniques are welcomed here. Truly. If anyone knows how to get a certificate so I can put it in my keychain, please, please, tell me. The reason I believe it needs a certificate, is because when I sign on AIM with Adium, my AIM name has a little certificate beside it, and messenger doesn't.

I have exhausted all that I know to do. I can use the online messenger, but i prefer the application for the webcam.. if anyone knows how to fix this, please, help. I'm (very close) to desperate.

2. mixmacface thread starter macrumors regular

mixmacface

.. so now the box is saying that it cannot connect me because the time/date is wrong (i checked the set date & time automatically box), or the digital certificate isn't valid or installed. when it is. i downloaded it straight from my school's tech website.

seriously, if anyone knows how to fix it - i do believe that it is clean access now. - please help.

3. mixmacface thread starter macrumors regular

mixmacface

forget msn mssenger - nobody could fix it. not even my tech guys at school. i'm still convinced it's the certificate.. however, i decided to try my hand with ichat & jabber.. here's the steps, incase ANYONE is having trouble..

the server i used was chrome.pl. i searched the list & saw that msn had an uptime of like 3 days and was at 100%.. so yeah.

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/