MSN Messenger on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iknowgungfu, Oct 22, 2008.

1. iknowgungfu macrumors member

Hi all,

I have installed Office 08 and the version of MSN messenger that comes with it. As far as I know it is the most up to daet version, but no matter what I try I cannot log onto to my MSN account.

I receive a message saying that it could not connect to server and to check if I am connected to the net. I am deffo connected to the net so I am completely stumped. I installed Yahoo messenger and that works fine...is there some kind of port forarwding needed for MSN Messenger to work?

Cheers in advance.

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Just don't bother with MSN at all on the Mac, it's a shoddy implementation and years behind the PC version.

Go for something else like Adium instead, you'll be far happier.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If I recall correctly, Office 2008 ships with Messenger v6. The current version is v7; you can download it off of Mactopia.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

I updated Office as soon as I installed. I just checked and it is Version 7. I also installed Adium the other and Mercury and they all have the same problem.

I am sure it is something (relatively) simple - I am just new to using Macs.

Any other suggestions?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

6. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Sorry to piggyback, I just had a quick question. I have never owned a Mac, but I plan on ordering a MBP this week or next week. What I was wondering is if the MSN games work? My boyfriend and I love to play Solitaire Showdown all the time.

Sorry, and thanks in advance.

V

7. umbilical macrumors 6502a

msn suck for all systems... use ADIUM X is great! :cool:

8. wheelhot macrumors 68020

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I also use adiumx for my men messenger. But I would loveit if they made actual msn for the mac. I read somewhere tyt apparently microsct does have some people working on the mac version and that there is a beta version to catch up with the windows version. I just really don't believe so you are stuck with adium for now. I know it sucks. Hopefully adium will add video soon as well.

10. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

It is an account/email that I have had for many years. Logging on with my PC is fine. I have tried Adium and Mewrcury and they all give the saem cannot connect error.

Very strange. Saying that I have AppleCare so I may take it in and ask them to sort it :)

It's just a bit embarassing isn't it (I am quite IT literate) :)