msn messenger question marked icon, help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bebo83, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bebo83 macrumors newbie

hello there,

been having problems lately with dock, here is what happened,

installed msn messenger , worked great, installed office, worked great

then i noticed on dock that here are two messenger icons, one with a question mark. I tried dragging it out of the dock but it wont just go for some reason,

anyways, i deleted messenger to see if it will go away, nothing happened,

any ideas?

thanks,

p.s ,,, first week with a mac ,, loving it ,,,

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

A question mark on a dock icon means that you have deleted the program file associated with the dock item. Think of it as a shortcut to nowhere. What you probably did was to install office on top of messenger, and the original was overwritten. If you can't remove the icon by dragging it off, then try right-clicking on it and select "remove from dock." Erase anything Microsoft (search for random files in the library using Spotlight), restart, and reinstall.

3. bebo83 thread starter macrumors newbie

right clicking didnt do it, it doesnt even show me a remove option,

i deleted everything microsoft and now i have all of the office icons question marked! i restarted the machine yet they still show up and when i right click them and select "show in finder" nothing happens,,,

anymore ideas?

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You're sure that you can't drag them out of the dock? Click-hold-drag to desktop and them release click.

5. bebo83 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes ,, i am very familiar with the art of dragging :D however, its not working

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

OK, sorry dude.

I have no idea why it's not working and not really much to suggest. I hope someone can help!

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Open your Home Folder > Library > Preferences...find the file com.apple.dock.plist and drag it to the desktop. Restart. That should restore the dock to factory settings (and hopefully give you the drag from the dock and right-click options back again).

If everything is kosher at that point, you can trash the com.apple.dock.plist file.

8. bebo83 thread starter macrumors newbie

worked like a charm :) thanks :)