msn messenger through ichat via jabber

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benhg, Feb 18, 2008.

1. benhg macrumors newbie

Hello,

does anyone have easy to follow instructions for getting msn to work via ichat? i have been trying for ages. is the jabber.org.au server still active? i have been trying to go to jabber.org.au/profile for ages to do what i need to to my account, but the site keeps telling me that that section is down.

Thank you

Ben

2. verity macrumors member

There's pretty easy-to-follow instructions here in case you haven't come across them yet. I would suggest using either jabber.no or jabber.me.uk servers for setting up MSN transport or any others (at least that's the ones I've come across as reliable). I personally log in with my gmail address and use their transports, that way as long as I have gmail open with chat at work, I can still see everybody just the way I do at home with iChat.

That way you'll see friends' avatars and they will see yours, as well as be able to transfer files. For me, I needed to add more iChat smileys pack to catch up with the extended smileys from MSN.

3. verity macrumors member

Oh, and I remember reading that jabber.org.au discontinued support for MSN since they couldn't keep the transport working and stable. It's in the announcement section of their forum.

4. schixzotic macrumors newbie

The webbie says it works with Tiger - would it work with Leopard?
    (sorry very clueless girl with first mac here. :))

5. verity macrumors member

Congrats on your first mac.

If you're asking about using iChat and Jabber on Leopard vs Tiger, there's no difference, really.

General note. Tiger was system 10.4 and Leopard is 10.5, so if something is supported under Tiger chances are you can give it a try under Leopard. Good luck.

Sorry if I'm sounding too obvious. There was a time I needed simple advice. (still do, sometimes.)

6. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

if these are the easy-to-follow instructions I'd hate to see a really comprehensive version. Here's what i do that works: I click my applications stack, then I click on MSN messenger. Then i talk to my MSN-only friends. Sometimes I run this simultaneously with iChat, through which I communicate with my AIM friends :D

I'm just joshing, and it was really nice for you to post these instructions, verity. Just wish there was a simpler (i.e.: mac-like) solution.

EDIT: Congratulations, schixzotic. Recent (and happy) switchers, UNITE!