msn messenger what do you really think of it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dudeofblokes, Jun 26, 2010.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    msn messenger lots of us need it and while i personally wish we could easily use ichat for msn contacts (if the can licence microsoft exchange etc why cant they ad this feature to ichat).

yes msn messenger for mac is really lacking and i know that alot of people think the pc version is bloated, but looking at the beta of the new version due out late this year we are still far behind, isnt it about time we got some better features and some improvement besides just video chat.

look at how long it takes for us to get a update to messenger yet when we do its nothing special, full of bugs were it defaults to the name on our msn profile page not what we choose in app, the regular problem where it struggles to show our and our contacts pictures, really bad support for third party emoticons, very unstable in general. im not even talking about the beta here im talking about the last few official releases. microsoft takes its time to release new versions there is plenty of time to correct these issues and give us a few new features, look at yahoo messenger for mac its still lacks its pc counterpart but is a vast improvement. microsoft surely knows thet alot of us have to use it, so why is it so difficult to give us a decent feature packed version.

thats my thoughts what are yours?

2. Rawn macrumors newbie

I've never used it for Mac cause I hate the PC version, so I can't comment on how good/bad it is. I use Adium, it's very nice. Give it a shot and see what you think. It's like Trillian or Pidgin (it's actually based off Pidgin) in the sense that you can add contacts from any messenger accounts, even IRC clients.

3. Sbowen67 macrumors newbie

Personally, I have converted strictly to Skype.... It has been pretty easy to get all my friends to convert as well. Skype rules! ;)

4. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

I'm new to Mac and love it except for the Messenger capabilities which is the only thing that make me miss my PC.

I'm from UK and i know 1 person with a me.com address and 1 person with AIM which they never use anyway as EVERYONE else uses hotmail or yahoo.

I would love to have these incorporated into iChat.

I don't use MSN on mac as its so bad i use Adium like most do but it still lacks the features you got on PC.

Matt

5. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

hey matt im the same, i got a few people to go aim but with everyone that did change it was convenient for them as all their friends were msn, i just feel that even tho microsoft is an apple rival that their mac department could do much better with the official product.

i use adium and while its full personalizable its quite hard to perfect it and like mac msn it lacks many features.

6. vile macrumors member

have you tried http://www.amsn-project.net/ ?

7. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

its not the most stable of programs either, it offers more features which is good but its deployment of them isnt the greatest

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

As I only use the most basic features of MSN so I just connect to it using iChat with Jabber.

I also use iChat for AIM/MobileMe, Facebook and IRC. As I only need to do video/audio conferencing and screen sharing using AIM/MobileMe, it works out pretty well.

As for MSN messenger I don't particularly like it, not even the Windows version.

9. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

i just wish for those of us who have to use it that they would improve it and make it stable