MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rumfitt, May 22, 2007.

1. rumfitt macrumors newbie

I cannot get MSN messenger to run with Mac OS X 10.4.9 any ideas?:confused:

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

care to go into any more details how it doenst run ? Does the dock app bounce, can you log in, have you got the mac version ??

3. rumfitt thread starter macrumors newbie

MSN Messenger

When I sign in it comes back with Sign in to MSN messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet, but I am definately online and if I try on my imac G5 which is Mac OS X 10.3.9 I can go straight on to messenger.:(

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a good enough a reason to get rid of the horrible Mac:messenger and switch to Adium...its wonderful, really...and hopefully will work...

5. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

are you on 10.4.9 or 10.3.9 ? or 2 different machines. Has the machine your trying to use msn on connect to the internet ok ? Occasionally MSN does come up with that error message, and I have never found out any reason. Mine kept on disconnecting for a phase, then works relaibly for a few weeks. its probably just MSNs servers playing up.

I tried Adium, i just couldnt get used to the UI. Consider ms normally make a really bloated UI on most of their products, I think theyve done a good job on messenger. Simplicity is key for me.

6. rumfitt thread starter macrumors newbie

MSN Messenger

I have two different machines 3.9 connects 4.9 will not I have just downloaded adium and am up and running it looks cool!;)

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It really is better than MSN...it has Xtras (plug-ins, skins etc.), and these are the ones I use :

My dock icon
    My contact list style

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I guess if the internet normally works just fine, you can try using Adium and see if that works. If it does, well...I'd recommend you just use that.

I tried using Microsoft's offering, and it's never worked properly for me so I've given up entirely on trying to use it.

9. warfa macrumors regular

dude, just use Adium, you'll love it!
    don't even bother with that microsoft crap, its not worthy of running on a Mac:D

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

try repairing permistions or installing the latest version, to the above comments pushing another product its not the best thing to do i tryed adium myself, its just a renamed gaim and sometimes dosnt share files properly and the text size is to small and it dosnt look as nice as the offical client and seems to take more ram. Dont push another product when someone is asking for help for the product they are using.

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

FYI - people recommending other products is extremely useful and points the way to other products that they may not have known existed. Whether or not the OP actually uses the product is up to them.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can change the font size in preferences...in fact it is a great, customisable app...

Why should anyone stick with MSN, when Microsoft put so little effort in it...I mean, how come they don't have videochat, while Mercury and aMSN do?

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

At the very least he can use another client just to test to see if the issue is with the software or the internet connection/MSN servers. If it is an issue with the MSN Servers, then the OP can wait and see if it resolves itself as it normally will. If not, they can always file a log with Microsoft and in the meantime use another client temporarily.

Advocating another piece of software has its uses. :)

14. warfa macrumors regular

:p

Sorry that Adium works so well for me!!! it's awsome and i think the guy should get it.
    plus i always had problems with MSNM until someone on this forum recommended Adium for me like i did for him..