MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alias, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Alias macrumors member

Hi there,

I recently bought a macbook and am loving it. But I'm having trouble finding a stable msn messenger. I installed amsn but it runs really slow and seems like it freezes is a lot. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks!

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

in case you were wondering about video conferencing, skype works well. Great with those window users as well.

4. franz1999 macrumors member

Remote assistance?

My mom and I live in different continents and she is not too much of a computer person. Se can email, chat and browse but that's pretty much it. Whenever a problem comes up on her machine I use remote assistance through MSN messenger from my windows laptop to hers.

Now I would like to switch to a MBP. Will I completely lose the possibility to be able to help her remotely?

Thanks in advance,

FG

5. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I still seem to have issues with the mac messengers, I chat to people on the MSN and Yahoo.
    Adium works just great for me, and it is soooo configurable :)

7. Stormbringer macrumors regular

Just installed Office '08. Way better than the previous versions, and I hoped the Messenger is upgraded too...

I love Adium, but the transfers are terribly slow, no webcam functionality, and no custom emoticons... :( So I'm on Mercury, but that app is ugly as hell...

Anyway, I had high hopes for the Windows Messenger, but those bastards even didn't added tabbed conversations! Nor webcam functionality! What a shame, the Windows versions have this for years, and 80% of the new Mac have a built-in webcam. Obvious this is on purpose... :mad:

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am using Mercury messenger. adium doesn't' seem to want to work now i have leopard on my macbook.

9. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I do this for both sets of parents, the mac messenger software right now won't do it, but I do have a solution.

I am able to use parallels and a copy of windows xp, fire up windows live messenger, and then do the remote assistance. I have used my mac parallels xp to log into a windows vista computer without issue.

I think the windows live messenger for mac blog I read a month ago said that the mac version will have video added when they switch to a new webcam codec or programing language, so until they will not update the mac side to allow video until they have the windows version switched over.

10. Alias thread starter macrumors member

I tried Adium and it wasn't too bad...but it does lack the ability to do some of the features that the regular msn on a windows based system as (ie. video chat). The Microsoft Mac Messenger lacks the ability to do video chat as well but it is familar so I might just use that.

As for aMsn, I was running it on leopard and it kept running very slow and would freeze fairly often.