MSN problems with my new macbook pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZizousamA, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ZizousamA macrumors member

Hello all,

I purchased a new macbook pro to replace my old macbook. When I got it, I copied all my preferences and apps from my old mac time machine backup using migration assistant. Everything seems to be functioning as it should. However, I am unable to log in to my MSN account using any client such as MS Messenger and Adium. MS Messenger tells me that either the service is not available or that I'm not connected to the internet. Either of these reasons is not valid! I can log into my MSN normally on my old mac! Also, I cannot view my hotmail on Mail on the new mac. It tells me that the server pop3.live.com doesn't allow the connection on port 110. BUT, on my old mac it's fine!!! I tried reinstalling Messenger and Adium several times and checked setting and they are identical in both macs. This is driving me nuts because it's really odd. Do I have to format or reinstall leopard? Is it because of copying from Time Machine. Why is it that only Hotmail stuff doesn't work?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. ZizousamA thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled leopard after I deleted everything on the HD and everything worked fine. When I copied my data through the Migration Assistant again to retrieve my settings and apps, the problem appeared again! So, the problem is definitely a result of the copying process. However, I cannot figure out why. Am I not supposed to copy and use the option I am given? Why does MSN stuff work on my old mac and not on the new one since they are basically the same. It worked just for a little while then stopped just like the first time I moved my data from my backup. Can't I have MSN stuff (email through mail + chat) in two devices? I'm really confused. I would love to know the reason even if it's not fixable.

Thanks

3. ZizousamA thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone used the Migration Assistant to copy all their apps and preferences and did not face problems in logging into their MSN accounts and using pop servers (namely hotmail) with Mail.app? I would like to know if this problem is general or something just went wrong with my pro even though I did it twice.