Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Hi peoples. I saw an old thread about this but I'd rather not resurrect it since its over a year old now. I use MSN messenger, and the other day my step dad decided to get rid of our Airport Extreme (don't ask why) and replace it with a NETGEAR modem and wireless router. My MacBook is connected to this now and while everything seems fine, MSN will just not sign in, instead it says 'the service is temporarily unavailable or you have no connection to the internet' At first I thought it was the service unavailable, but after going on the website and checking its status, it says its absolutely fine. I have tried on the iMac we have which is connected to the same internet and it doesn't work on this either so I know its a problem with this new Netgear modem/wireless router. But my question is, what can be done to fix it? (beside going back to or old router of course since its been replaced.) I've tried a new MSN account and Deleting every trace of MSN and reinstalling it, its still a no go.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
Sounds like the new device security is restricting it. Check the settings on it, and with MSN. I did it myself with express, and had to change the security settings.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Sounds like the new device security is restricting it. Check the settings on it, and with MSN. I did it myself with express, and had to change the security settings.

What settings should I look out for? I'm lost when it comes to dealing with Wireless Routers etc. On MSN none of the connection settings seem to do anything but I don't know what settings I need to toggle on/off etc. in the first place LOL

aMmOOooR

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Egypt
Used to have the same problem.

Hey there,
Used to have the same problem for a long time.
I ordered an Apple Airport Extreme to solve the issue, so you can imagine how much this used to bug me.

Then the answer was simple, of course not so soon, but recently, they've upgraded their routers' firmwares "NetGear.Com"
Check it out and upgrade it to the latest, it worked like a charm since then.

Hold your breath :p
Good luck.

Mark Moore

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Hey there,
Used to have the same problem for a long time.
I ordered an Apple Airport Extreme to solve the issue, so you can imagine how much this used to bug me.

Then the answer was simple, of course not so soon, but recently, they've upgraded their routers' firmwares "NetGear.Com"
Check it out and upgrade it to the latest, it worked like a charm since then.

Hold your breath :p
Good luck.

Mark Moore

Thanks I'll look into it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.