Msn virus on os X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hammipoop, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hammipoop macrumors newbie

Ok so my msn is sending messages to ppl about some new year offers it doesnt seem to be affecting my mac but its irritating other ppl. Help on how to remove this would be greatly appreciated.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Do you mean people are receiving random emails from your MSN address?

This isn't a virus. Your email address has been 'hijacked' for want of a better word and is being used to cover up who really sent the spam that is being sent out.

Infact it probably all started on an infected PC where the contents of the address book was 'stolen' to garner email addresses to use.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You have typed your email and password on a scam website and they're using it to send spam to people, it happens often, you need to change your msn password immediately and security reset questions.

You can change it here:

www.hotmail.com

4. finnschi macrumors 6502

So Tru, its so sad how everyone thinks its a Virus... and if you tell them that they clicked on some website and got their passport phished, they ALWAYS deny it... its sad REALLY SAD :eek:

5. hammipoop thread starter macrumors newbie

no just to clarify its not coming from my hotmail email account (which I have no changed the password for anyway) its coming from my msn messenger sending instant messages to someone, its some kind of spyware i guess but with being a new mac user i have no idea how to get rid ofit

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Oh i see its coming from your actually msn, in which case its probably a Trojan not a Virus, you need to download and install this:

http://www.unmetered.org.uk/clamXav/ClamXav_1.1.1_Universal_e942.dmg

Then let it do a full virus sweep of your computer and delete anything it finds, i repeat DONT quarantine, actually delete things. Then when its done you can uninstall it :)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Changing your password should fix it, which I think you can do here. Basically someone else is logging into your account and sending messages, so it looks like they are from you.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

they already did that, its a trojan hijacking theyre msn and sending msn messages to people who are online. please tell me youve heard of it, only clam antivirus can fix it, which i've already linked them to.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not aware of anything that affects MSN on a Mac, but I apologise if there is something.

10. hammipoop thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed that app but it wont allow me to do a full scan will only letme select certain files! help please

11. kazkom macrumors newbie

I have that

I have had that for a while now. anyhow i think it is deleting stuff off my macbook. as stuff is going missing. and my macbook is running slow. i am running the software hopefully it will sort it out.

any advice would be great.

12. hammipoop thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesnt sound good. The virus software wont let me scan whole system deffo want to get this sorted before it does something major to my system

13. yeokiankee macrumors newbie

Having the same problem here. I'm using amsn as my msn application. I notice that I'm logged out of msn and someone will be receiving the trojan links.

Anyway I've reformatted my HD and it did not work. Tried changing the password. Hope it works.

As for ClamXav, the anti-virus application, it does not allow me to do an entire wide system scan. Will try scanning it portion by portion.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

There is a possibility that it is not on your Mac that it could be attached to your screen name on the MSN server. you might want to just dump your old screen name and make a new one with a new password. Just a thought.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This should be a dead giveaway that it isn't your computer. Someone has stolen your password.

16. Trip.Tucker Guest

No. It's not a hijacked application and clam AV will do nothing to help. The issue is the user's account has been hijacked and as stated many times in this thread, the OP needs to reset his/her account.

17. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

It's funny of how you members just think that there is no kind of malware for mac. For instance, the Xover Backdoor (just as an example, as you can see in the review below, the backdoor isn't actually a msn worm).

Try iantivirus: www.iantivirus.com
    Review here: (also showing msn backdoor) http://tinyurl.com/842pmb

So, it's either a backdoor or an automated bot. In the second case a password change would fix things.

18. Trip.Tucker Guest

Funny of? :confused:

...and you're kidding with that virus quote, right? Seriously, Backdoor-Xover, did you read the description of this so-called trojan? You're exactly the audience that anti-virus for Mac marketing groups target. Just too easy.

19. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

20. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I've been getting these wierd messages for some time, though always from the same people... I have VirusBarrier X5 and it have never found anything on my drive, but is this malware in other peoples computers sending these links or is it in my computer?

21. kolax macrumors G3

My friend has this issue too - his account has been taken somehow. It'll send random IM's when he's not online (his status will be offline).

He's on a PC, but I guess it doesn't make much difference if your password has been compromised.

22. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

23. kolax macrumors G3

Or user stupidity.

Lot of people will just use online web messengers and not really have a clue about phishing sites.

24. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Good point actually.

Most users dont be careful. They sign on to all those dodgey site, not knowing really whats happening to there accounts

25. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca