MSN Webcam chats

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macachia, Sep 23, 2008.

1. macachia macrumors regular

Hi,

I am trying to chat via webcam (both audio & video), is there any software that can do this please?

I already tried MSN Messeger and aMSN.

thanks
    mac

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

iChat that comes with your Mac (AOL Instant Messenger) or Skype.

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

4. EspressoMac macrumors newbie

Skype has the advantage that it allows you to have cross platform webcam chats -- so you can use Skype on your Mac and your friend can use Skype on their PC.

http://skype.com/download/skype/macosx/

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Advantage over what? iChat works via Aol Instant Messenger, and is cross platform between Windows and Mac.

And hopefully, come MWSF 2009, Messenger:Mac will have audio and video capabilities.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd wager that, at least outside the US, users are more likely to have a Skype account than an AIM one.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

AOL isnt that big in australia, so i use skype.. pretty much because its better.

absolutely NOONE i know uses AOL, yet there are a lot of people that use skype.

skype an also make calls to any phone in the world, and sms any mobile.. seems kinda cool to me.

therefor i see a massive advantage of skype over AOL.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Yes, popularity will provide an advantage.

But in his post, he said that the advantage for Skype was, "it allows you to have cross platform webcam chats". This to me, implies wrongly, that it is only Skype that is able to do this.

9. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was under the impression that it only provided video..

haha well that just doesnt make sense.... of course they'll work with each other if the programs are cross platform.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Skype does, in my limited experience, seem to do it a lot more flawlessly than AIM or other options.... It offers high resolution on more platforms, seems to get caught in less firewall related problems, is available on more platforms (Linux, many mobile devices), etc. So I do think it's reasonable to say it's the best cross-platform video chat software.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is the one thing that i hate about skype. you CANNOT limit the bandwidth that your camera uses!!! i hate that. i constantly call my gf, i have a 25gb cap and she has a 12gb cap, it maxes out both of out 80kbps upload rates. over 1/2hrs thats a good 400mb a night. peeves me off

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting... I do see your point. Caps are rare here, so I guess maybe that's us US'ers being ethnocentric. Comcast did recently implement a cap, but it's 250 gigabytes, and I don't think it'll be an issue even with AV chatting.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

we are paying $100AUD (bought $115/$120US) for ADSL2+ (20mb up/1mb down) with only 25gb. it is a pathetic plan provided by the nations largest ISP. we are so far behind in terms of the internet, speeds and pricing and i get pretty darn annoyed when you can get 250gb downloads. the only plan i can find is 200gb (100gb on peak/100gb off peak) and that costs a fortune.

anybody know of a way to limit the bitrate in skype??

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you can't do it directly in Skype, can you do it with some global bandwidth metering software? Is Little Snitch able to do this possibly?

16. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Yes, obviously. But read what I quoted again...he implied Skype was the only cross platform application out there that allowed audio and video.

I was only rectifying what he said, saying that there is iChat (AIM) that provides A/V, and eventually Messenger:Mac will do it.

Sigh..you are reading too much into what I said. I was only rectifying for the OP in case he was misled into thinking Skype was the only candidate for doing this.

I never said anything about one being better than the other - I quoted him because he said the advantage with Skype was cross platform. If he had said the advantage of Skype is it is more popular, higher quality, less problems, then fair enough, but he didn't. And that could be confusing for people who don't know too much.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats a very good question, im just downloading it now. i guess i will find out soon haha! thanks for the idea!

1. i read and re-read, and i was always agreeing with you so no need to rectify yourself again haha.

2. yes :) you were.

3. i think you are reacting too much to what i said.

4. i think he just made an honest mistake, he mightnt have even known that you could get AOL or any other A/V chats happening. like you said there are people that don't know much so sometimes they just need a little break ;)