MSN won't minimize. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jasmine84, May 16, 2007.

1. jasmine84 macrumors member

jasmine84

So for some reason I can't minimize MSN on my Macbook. I could before but can't now. And it works on everything else just not on MSN windows. The yellow ball is greyed out, and I can't do the keystroke to minimize either. Anyone know what to do to fix this???

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's been an occasional bug in OS X for quite some time now. Haven't seen mention of it or experienced it myself recently though...are you running 10.4.9?

About the only thing you can do is log out and back in or restart.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try repairing permissions (in Disk Utility)

Anyway...This is good enough a reason to switch from the rubbish MSN messenger to the brilliant and customisable Adium.

BTW I also use Mercury for videochat

I use this contact list style on auto-hide with Adium, and this icon

4. jasmine84 thread starter macrumors member

jasmine84

Yup, 10.4.9. I quit and restarted MSN and it worked, thanks! I also noticed that it always happens after I exit the Sims 2. So that may be what's causing it. I might try that other IM software... you can still use your MSN contact list? Can you video chat it in? That's the one thing that makes me mad about MSN for Mac. Grrr. I am a very recent convert from Windows you see.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, you log into your MSN account, and have your contact list and everything. It really is a great piece of software.

There is no video (although they say they are working on it), but I use Mercury Messenger for that when needed (I linked to it above) :)

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I totally vouch for Adium. I think there are some other alternatives too.

I use Pidgin (formerly Gaim) on Windows, which is what Adium is built off of. It's not perfect, but it's petty great, and has tons of useful features. Adium has those features, but looks way, way, way better. (I haven't used it enough to know if it also fixes the occasional Pidgin bug too.)

8. Beefgun macrumors newbie

I had this going on for a while as well. It would happen after I played the Sims 2.

So I think it has something to do with running applications that make you leave Finder environment or something. If I restarted I'd be OK until after I played the game again.

Maybe they fixed this with the new OS?

Hope so.