Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
sorry, but people including myself will keep buying all Apple made products regardless of what MSNBC thinks.

Microsoft dropped the ball long long time ago.

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
I believe that for the most part, Windows 8 tablets will cause great competition for Apple to respond to.

But, I also have a feeling though that the tablet builders will load up extra software on their tablets to make the Windows 8 system less enjoyable.

Gorion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Has anyone seen the Windows 8 logo? It looks really lame... But that's just my opinion =P

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I am quite interested in Windows 8.

I need mobility and more MS software in the business world. I love my iPad but a tablet that will run my Windows/MS software will get a look from me. I do not ever think that Apple will un teather the iPad and give it more freedom.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I believe that for the most part, Windows 8 tablets will cause great competition for Apple to respond to.

But, I also have a feeling though that the tablet builders will load up extra software on their tablets to make the Windows 8 system less enjoyable.
Isn't Windows 8 just Windows 7 with the metro UI on top of it?

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Thanks MSNBC for your unbias opinion. Oh wait msn isn't that microsoft? :p
Everything I have seen of Windows 8 actually doesn't excite me one bit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Seems to me that Google should be worried about Windows 8 as much if not more so than Apple.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I won't be getting it because I tried the developer preview. Not that interesting of an experience.

Tiles. Could it get any more boring?

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I am quite interested in Windows 8.

I need mobility and more MS software in the business world. I love my iPad but a tablet that will run my Windows/MS software will get a look from me. I do not ever think that Apple will un teather the iPad and give it more freedom.

From what I have read, you won't get that with the Metro tablet either. the classic desktop won’t be part of Windows 8 ARM, and that means it will only run Metro apps, and the only source of Metro apps will be Microsoft’s app store. Although I am sure Office will be configured for Metro, like it 'presumably' has for the iPad, but I wouldn't expect to see all MS software on the Metro tablet.

I am also unsure that MS will allow the freedom of Android on their tablets. I anticipate an Apple-like locked ecosystem with Metro. But that is not such a bad thing.

I expect great things from the Metro tablet. But that doesn't mean it will be an iPad killer either.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Er, I'm assuming they meant iOS but whatever. Windows 8 will have to live up to massive hype. Is it possible? The media keeps looking for "Apple killers": Android, Ultrabooks, Kindle Fire and now Windows 8. Yet Apple keeps selling millions of devices and making tons of money. What will the media do when Apple gets to $600B or $700B in market cap. :eek:

http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/technology/gadgetbox/10-ways-windows-8-beats-ipad-299445

What part of MSNBC don't you quite understand?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, the points they make are valid. now if windows 8 can live up to it remains to be seen. but i think it would be a good idea for iOS to implement some of these features as well.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Seems to me that Google should be worried about Windows 8 as much if not more so than Apple.
Correct. Really, Google is the one that should be worried here. Android phones have been selling well, WP7 phones haven't. On the other hand, Android tablets haven't been selling well, and WP7? We'll see - Microsoft has a chance.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I appreciate that Microsoft is making a statement and trying to be innovative with their design. The problem is that, like Windows Phone 7, they're coming into the game too late. Even the Zune is praised for being a great device but it was too late and by that time, everyone already had or wanted an iPod. I really think Apple needs to make the iPad 3 a significant update though because Windows 8 still has an advantage in that it runs old non-touch Windows software.

The Verge has a good comparison video of a Windows 8 tablet and the iPad also. I disagree with his statement that the iPad's multitasking gestures aren't intuitive and are uncomfortable but, besides that, it's a good intro to Windows 8 which I haven't really been keeping up with.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/1/2835309/windows-8-vs-ipad-feature-by-feature

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The other thing to consider is when Win8 is being made available? iPad 3 is going to be released this month, within weeks. If W8 doesn't appear soon, the marketshare will be saturated (even more) by iOS.

What's W8's time frame?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
The other thing to consider is when Win8 is being made available? iPad 3 is going to be released this month, within weeks. If W8 doesn't appear soon, the marketshare will be saturated (even more) by iOS.

What's W8's time frame?

I think October. I can only assume that that is an optimistic release date and it can only be delayed and moved back, not forward.

If the iPad 3 is simply more of the same, Windows 8 has some chance.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Correct. Really, Google is the one that should be worried here. Android phones have been selling well, WP7 phones haven't. On the other hand, Android tablets haven't been selling well, and WP7? We'll see - Microsoft has a chance.
With Kindle Fire and Windows 8 I think Android tablets are doomed. Apple's biggest competition I think will continue to be Samsung in the smartphone space.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I think October. I can only assume that that is an optimistic release date and it can only be delayed and moved back, not forward.

If the iPad 3 is simply more of the same, Windows 8 has some chance.
iOS is due for some really innovative updates (beyond Siri) but I think we'll see them with iPhone 6 and iPad 3 will be an incrimental update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.