MSNBC: "How Apple could screw up iPhone launch"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Oct 3, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The press is already grumbling about not getting a redesign. Take note that this never happened in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You mean an article on the MicroSoft Network is skeptical of Apple news? You don't say...

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Means nothing. I've read countless pro-Apple articles on MSNBC in the past.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

People need to stop confusing their wants with Apple's "needs".

I'm also confused as to why the article assumes that Apple wants to be the #1 global smartphone platform. If their strategy in computers is any indicator, they're happy not being #1 in market share as long as they're highly profitable. The fact is, being #1 in an industry and posting high profit margins is a tough trick to pull off...

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

This is a interesting, up to the minute, and in the know article summarizing the situation well, much better than most major new source articles on the subject.

Tony

6. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

When something becomes an industry standard, you can only thumb your nose at it with an air of superiority for so long. Eventually, you just start getting hammered for not offering up a competitive offering.

Apple can whine and apologists can apologize all they want, but a 4" screen is industry standard for the top-end smartphone market now.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

8. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

4" is not the industry standard for anything. Just because android phones use larger than 3.5" does not make it an industry standard. So after sold millions of iPad 1 and 2 in their 9.7" screen size and samsung releasing their 10.1" screen size, all of a sudden, "hi-end" tablets are 10.1" industry standard?!

It's what can fit in your pocket nicely and yet provide affordable clarity in the screen size. I don't want a huge 4.5" smartphone bulging from my jeans. I don't care how big the damn screen is on a phone if it doesn't even fit in my jean pockets, it's a deal breaker.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

MSNBC is under editorial control by NBC News which is owned by Comcast.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

11. APlotdevice, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Microsoft sold off its share in the network years ago. Leaving NBC with sole control.

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Some of us have already gotten used to huge bulges in our pants. Guess you got left out of that crowd.

I kid.

13. shadrap macrumors 6502

Great article and I think it's right on the money. This will help apple or cause apple to decline based on if is 5 or 4s.

14. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

lol. Nice - always busting out the I have a big dic jokes. I know you may as well have a really small wiener in reality...

i kid too ;)

15. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Morons. They don't get it and they never will.

Apple is about to launch the biggest UI revolution in the history of technology, and MSNBS is worried about AN ENCLOSURE. Yes, that's what a "new form factor" is, a different case for your phone.

16. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

The UI "revolution" -- speech recognition -- happened about 18 years ago as part of Macintosh System 7 and was met by users with a giant "Meh..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlainTalk

It was tried again by a company -- who offered not just control of computer functions but outright dictation -- and it was also met by users with a giant "Meh..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_NaturallySpeaking

It's not just that these were bad programs or non-useful programs, they didn't capture anyone's imagination or inspire anyone to keep the flame burning on behalf of speech recognition or voice control. Nobody wants it. There is absolutely ZERO user demand to control your phone or computer by voice.

17. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Zero demand, thanks for going on record. Wait until tomorrow and you'll find out just how wrong you are.

I don't know what Apple will launch tomorrow... but I know it will be like NOTHING you have ever seen.

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

Maybe it could be successful if some company with experience popularizing novel user interfaces was working on it, but not Apple. Definitely not Apple.

19. smotheredhope macrumors regular

Um, they're right

20. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Novel, you mean like the iOS multi-touch stuff? Because people definitely hadn't been using touch devices (trackpads) to handle input on their laptops for over a decade when the iPhone was released.

The only time people talk to their computers now is when they're frustrated by something that is going on.

21. budd1elee macrumors newbie

It's never been done in a useful, integrated manner, which is why it has never been successful. Is there a great demand for it? No, because nobody knows what it may or may not be capable of, just what it hasn't been able to do for them in the past.

22. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

As much as I want a redesign I don't understand how we became so entitled to a fancy new body. We are at the point of spurning the next iPhone no matter what if it does not look different.

I don't know if it can be blamed on Apple but there was a serious breakdown of managing people's expectation.

On that note, please let Apple be super leak stopping geniuses and all of us be blown away today!!

23. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

It's because you can't use it quietly or privately in most settings. Apple knew this, intuitively, when they did the old Knowledge Navigator videos -- the guy using the voice interface is alone in a very ornate and closed off office.

In a real world setting -- at a cubicle or using a phone in a public place -- people don't want the world knowing their business. They don't want their boss knowing they're searching for a bar to drink at after work, they don't want the other people in line at the Starbucks knowing they're off to a gynecologist appointment after their latte is done. We're social creatures, but we're privately social -- we tweet quietly on the subway, we text quietly in line, we search for fantasy football news silently during a meeting.

Computing isn't a public task. The only places where computing IS public (and, incidentally, the only place where you find voice tech being showcased) is on TV and in movies, where you need the characters talking out loud and telling you what they're doing on computers because you can't read over their shoulder.

The demand for voice tech has never been there not only because it didn't work, but because most people would genuinely rather type stuff out or click on stuff then let everyone around them intrude on their business.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

Right, laptop trackpads and multitouch surfaces are the exact same thing. Just like standard voice control stuff and what Apple is going to show us tomorrow.

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah apple makes money. They make more money off their smartphones than everyone else combined. I am not sure what else they should be shooting for....

This is also why thru don't slap a half arsed bigger screen on. Phone and call it something it is not. Apple designs their phones to sell 50 million not 500 thousand like android makers do.