MSNBC reports new iPhone update fixes 3G problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jableskg, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jableskg macrumors regular

Well this is news to me because i still get horrible 3G coverage.

Apple releases fix for iPhone woes
    Update 'improved communication with 3G networks,' company says
    By Jessica Mintz
    The Associated Press
    updated 5:15 p.m. PT, Tues., Aug. 19, 2008

SEATTLE - Apple Inc. has released an iPhone software update it says improves communication between the smart phone and wireless networks.

The iPhone 3G, which went on sale July 11, connects to cellular providers' speedier third-generation networks and was meant to deliver snappier Web surfing and online video viewing than the year-old original model.

But some customers who shelled out up to $299 for Apple's newest gizmo flocked to message boards in recent weeks, posting complaints about dropped calls and spotty wireless broadband connectivity.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple did not acknowledge a problem until Tuesday, and then provided few specifics about what, exactly, Monday evening's software update was designed to fix.

The iPhone 2.0.2 software update "improved communication with 3G networks," said Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock.

Bowcock would not say which of the many possible parts — from the iPhone's antenna and amplifier and the radio frequency transceiver, to the baseband that processes the digital signal and sends it to the speaker or screen — were targeted with the software update.

She also declined to describe the sort of improvements users might expect after installing the update.

No definitive information has been released about the source of the problem, which seemed to affect some iPhone users and not others. Last week, Sweden's foremost engineering weekly published a report indicating a problem between the iPhone's antenna and an amplifier meant to improve performance in areas with a weak signal.

Apple declined to comment on the report.
    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26300805/

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

:eek::D

3. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Fail.

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

flagged this for removal, dont like copyright violators!!!

5. yode macrumors 6502

this was a joke right

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

Flagged for flagging removal of non-copyright material! :mad:

PS: maybe it's a placebo effect, but I did sense substantial stability to 3G and reception.

7. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

Im using my iPhone in jail right now for violating copyrights :(

8. barjohn macrumors newbie

If it was supposed to fix the issues of dropped calls, volume fading on both ends and better signal strength it didn't work on my unit. Yesterday it dropped calls, I had calls require redial several times and the volume fade in and out on both my end and the other parties end.

The unit appears to be a little more responsive but GPS seems to be a hit and miss proposition with one time working very fast to go to a blue pin and other times just sitting with a big circle.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

As I had posted a week, or so, ago.....
    Apple probably just modified the software to show More Bars for the same signal. The only change.
    And are seeing how much time that will buy, before everyone figures this out, while they get hardware revisions into the new ones they are shipping.
    I just can't see them recalling millions of 3G iPhones. At the most, they might offer a $100 Voucher like they did with the 1st Gen. If they refuse to give out ANY information on their software upgrades, they can't be held liable.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's been used for an educational purpose. No copyright violation.

11. Reiger macrumors regular

It didn't even do that :eek:.

This is just a very strange article. Especially as an Apple spokesperson is stating that is actually improving the reception.

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nf/61404

THE TRUE AND HOLY upgrade which was supposed to fix the shonky engineering which is Apple's Iphone does not work.

Apple had hoped to avoid one of the largest product recalls in its history by releasing a firmware patch to stop its Jesus phone from dropping calls.

Currently users of the handset have to sit completely still when using Steve Jobs' most brilliant dumping on users yet, otherwise they will be disconnected.

This is due to the fact that the engineering wizzos at Apple thought it better to use a backward and cheap Infineon 3G chipset chipset that did not work. This is the same chipset that has been playing up in exactly the same way in 3G phones across Europe for four years. Yet for some reason, Apple thought it would work on its phones much better.

Like most things to do with Apple, the firmware upgrade was conducted in secret, we don't know that it was trying to fix the chip problem. In fact Apple has refused to confirm that it has a chip problem. Its forum did say that the patch was an attempt to rectify "poor user experiences".

However the upgrade does not solve the problem. What it does is messes up the GPS function and creates shedloads of others instead.

One user said that since the upgrade his scrolling was jerky. We understand this is a common problem with Apple users and we recommend cream.

Another complained that the upgrade had turned his Iphone into a nice looking brick. This is annoying because he felt he would have been less likely to queue in the rain for a brick.

Others said they would happily queue in the rain for a brick if Steve told them to.

13. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Wow, I just read the article, and it doesn't do Apple OR AT&T any good at all. But that isn't the article writers fault.

14. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

There should be more articles like this calling Apple out, especially when they are blatantly lying about the fact that 2.0.2 fixes the 3G issue!

They'll probably phase in "fixed" units at some point and ignore the early adopters. When more and more people get the revised phones, the complaints will fade.

15. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

you wouldn't happen to work for the *AA guys would you?

16. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

So this problem is affecting 2% of iPhone users according to Steve Jobs.. I have had my phone less than 30 days.. Would i be wasting my time trying to go back to the Apple store today to exchange it for a new one??