MSNBC: When Apple Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by gkarris, Jun 28, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

yeah, the bit about the iMacs only being good for starting the "i-whatever" naming craze is complete BS.

i've had several iMacs, including one of the first tray-loading ones, and i've always felt that they were a wonderful, functional, and simple all-in-one solution, throughout the various styles. they've all been pieces of art to me.

everything else in that article...well, i'd kind of agree. :eek:

3. jamesybsu macrumors regular

MSNBC is dumb, Microsoft must be paying them to put their story up. How can you be innovative without having some things go wrong?

4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

One button mouse: Yeah, if you're going to explain the one button mouse thing why don't you show a real one button mouse? They show the newer model to make people think that Apple still uses the one button.

This is the picture they use.

Attached Files:

5. Teddy's macrumors 6502

MS NBC, we know that already
    msn nbc - M$ + NBC
    just like Fox News + Rep...

And there will always be room for innovation. People will test if they like it or not. We don't have to like something just for a brand name.

stupid msnbc report

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

jesus, give me a break, MSNBC is a news collection site, this article is from AP.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Not only is it only one button, but it's a teeeeeeeny tiny button! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

That button looks so lonely all by its tiny lonesome... :p

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Microsoft runs the web site only, NBC is in charge of the news. Plus MS wants out of the deal.

It does say this tho,
    So that picture is accurate.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now, now Fanbois. Apple has had their share of bad products. Quite frankly, given all this hype over the iPhone, nice to see something else written about Apple, even if it is negative.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Part of me wants to see the iPhone fail so Apple will be knocked back a few pegs and get back to computers.

Ok someone explain how they said the iMac wasn't a success.
    It would be nice if people would actually read the article not pick thru a few lines.

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Of the things listed, this is really the only thing I take some issue with. I've been excited about each revision of the iMac, and still think it's the best value in Apple's product line. I think it captures a design aesthetic that numerous other companies have tried to match and, frankly, fail.

The other things in the list, eWorld, the Newton (which I think was a failure simply because it was SO far ahead of its time), the Cube (which I still think it's gorgeous, the ROKR, and the one-button mouse) are pretty fair. Those products didn't really do well for Apple.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

And stereotyping is even more stupid. It's obvious that most of the people that baselessly b*tch about MSNBC and Fox News all of the time have apparently never actually watched either one.

I've seen this grossly inaccurate article all over the internet at several news sites. The dumbest one is calling the "iTunes Phone" a miss. These morons don't even realize that those phones were made by Motorola, not Apple. :rolleyes:

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The thinking person doesn't have to watch for a year before forming an opinion. They are fairly clear and fairly consistent. If you like a little truth with your news every now and then, then it quickly becomes obvious that Fox News Channel is not the place for you.

15. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

They probably didn't want to take the time or pay a royalty for a real picture of a one button mouse. I think they were referring as the picture is what they held out on until 2005, But this still in my opinion classifies as misdirection. One of my friends has the last revision iMac in PPC (iSight, 1.9ghz G5, I believe) and when I was helping him with Indesign CS3, he was complaining about the one button mouse macs still use. :) I steered him in the right direction to get him to see how good the mighty mouse is, but I don't let him live it down.

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

The part about the last time people were excited about the iMac. That was the talk before the iPhone.

We eagerly await the next version...

17. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

18. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

as you posted above (from the article):

i read every word, thankyouverymuch...and that was the part i had an issue with. :) it's not that they said the iMac wasn't a success....it's just that the way they did it was a terrible "backhanded compliment" sort of thing.

there are always going to be mistakes and misses, but the original iMac was not one of them and did not deserve to be in that list, IMHO.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It never said that the original iMac was a failure, it said that the hype for it died after a few years. I think that is true, I really could care less about the iMac, I would never buy one.

20. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

iMacs were the foundation for Apple's turnaround. Period. After Jobs, that is.

Now they're powerful computers that are the equal of any equivalent PC out there. We should all be so fortunate to "flop" like the iMac apparently did.

21. jarednt1 macrumors member

Msnbc=dnc

FoxNews a mouth peice for republicans, lol.

MSNBC is purley a mouth peace for the DNC and all the cooky blogs.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I like the one button mouse...forced me to learn keyboard shortcuts.

iTunes for Cell Phones failed, becasue Apple stupid 100 Song limit, and it only being on 3 phones.

iMac was a hit, and still is. It should not be in that list.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It seems a bit of a hatchet job but AP is probably upset about something Apple.

May Wong usually writes technology pieces poorly, so I'd suspect that she's done this slide show of mis-information.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Well it is MSNBC. There motto is

MSNBC More Americans choose MSNBC for their disinformation then any other source.

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

how dare ANYONE learn keyboard shortcuts, thats just ridiculous! I am outraged by this "learning" thing.