MSOffice 2011 compatible with Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Semaphoric, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Semaphoric macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new MBP 15" (2ghz i7, 4g ram, hi-res matte display, OSX Lion) and am a graduate student and need a good word processor for writing and also Powerpoint.

I've read stuff about MSOffice 2011 not being compatible with Lion and that it runs slow. What is everyone's take on installing MSOffice 2011 on Lion?

Thanks!

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It is certainly compatible. Just make sure to install all available updates, including the one from last week.
    Microsoft is also going to bring a bigger update to the Office suite, bringing us Lion features to MS Office (like full screen, autosave, etc).

3. fingerman macrumors member

Using Office 2011 here with no problems on Lion :)

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

No problem at all :) Keep the software up to date, you will be sweet.

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

7. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

8. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

It is compatible, but it does not have all the new Lion features such as resume, auto save and full screen mode, and there may be a few hiccups in the suite. For instance, Solver does not work anymore.

In other words, it works, but it has not been updated since Snow Leopard (except some minor security updates not relating to compatibility).

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Using Office:mac 2011 just fine on my 2011 MacBook Pro. Like others have said, Microsoft has not updated Office yet to use some of the newer Lion features, and you may experience a few hiccups along the way, but so far I haven't had any hiccups and Office is working just fine.

However, I do prefer iWork over Office, but sometimes need to use Office for work related stuff because at work everything is done on Windows Office and even the few Macs we have use Office as well.