Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I've decided to throw some money to a laptop stand for my aluminium powerbook but I can't decide between the mstand from raindesign and the elevator from griffin. At first i was sure to get the elevator but then I knew about the mstand and read some about some issues about the elevator (e.g. some people have reported their laptop slipping from it). On the other side the only issue with mstand seems that the laptop cannot be closed while it is positioned on it. Someone knows about them and has some opinions to share? Thanks.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
why wouldn't you be able to close the computer if on the mstand? if anything, you wouldn't be able to open it if it is closed. that's because the piece that prevents the computer from sliding is right in front of the release latch.

i have an elevator and it works fine. i have no problems with sliding. if the grip strips are kept clean, there should be no problems. and if your computer is on it most or all of the time, the grip strips shouldn't even be able to collect dirt/dust.

i think this one comes down to personal preference/style.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
why wouldn't you be able to close the computer if on the mstand? if anything, you wouldn't be able to open it if it is closed. that's because the piece that prevents the computer from sliding is right in front of the release latch.

i have an elevator and it works fine. i have no problems with sliding. if the grip strips are kept clean, there should be no problems. and if your computer is on it most or all of the time, the grip strips shouldn't even be able to collect dirt/dust.

i think this one comes down to personal preference/style.

Yes, you're right, the mstand prevents you from opening the notebook, not closing. Doesn't seem a big issue. The elevator would be less pricey and I'm sure yours works fine, but it was just a stupid video I found on youtube that made me worry about the slip issue.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
I had the same issue. But finally decided to go with mstand. Ordered on saturday and its schedule to arrive here tomorrow. I've looked over the net for different opinions and got the feeling that mstand is better built. We will see...

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I like the elevator. I still wish they still make the iCurve as you can only find them on eBay now

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Alaska
Elevator all the way. I've been using one for almost a year now, and I find it perfect, though it is best to have an external keyboard and mouse.

- Daniel

n0d3

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2006
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3690357/

My previous answer to another user.

Heres an updated pic.

538738977_fbe373b665.jpg

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Just found this nice gallery of the mstand

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/test/mstand/

I have just one question left. The mstand seems target specifically to the macbook pro, will it fit in the same way the powerbook? I've never seen a macbook pro live, is the position and size of the cd/dvd drive the same?

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
i like m stand alot but i think the price is very out of reach, i think for what goes into the rain products are very over priced. i have used the elevator and have no problems with it

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
i like m stand alot but i think the price is very out of reach, i think for what goes into the rain products are very over priced. i have used the elevator and have no problems with it

No slide/slip problems? This would be my only concern with the elevator. Oh man, I'm just soooo problematic in deciding between the two stands

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I use an iLap for my MBP. I "modified" it by removing all the padding (front & back) and I use two of the supplied rubber feet on the bottom of the back brace (to prevent slippage on my desk) and placed the other two feet on top of the Ilap at the front (to prevent my MBP from slipping forward). Works great for me...and I like that the iLap is made of the same color aluminum (??) as the MBP...

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I ended up buying the Elevator, after thinking a while about it the mstand just seemed something a bit overdesigned. It has already shipped, let's hope I won't regret it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006

the mstand is $49.90 and the Elevator is $39.99. that's not a big difference.

the Elevator, though, is on sale for $31.99 as of this posting.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
the mstand looks too big and bulky... so much aluminium.

The elevator doesn't draw as much attention to itself.
the mstand screams 'look at me I'm a laptop stand'
Its almost as big as the computer itself.

I have an elevator and love it.
But I still think design wise the iCurve was the nicest of the lot.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
I vote for the Elevator.

It gives your notebook plenty of room to breath on the bottom, ensuring cooler running temperatures. The mStand's all aluminum design leaves the bottom of your notebook against a piece of metal.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
the mstand looks too big and bulky... so much aluminium.

The elevator doesn't draw as much attention to itself.
the mstand screams 'look at me I'm a laptop stand'
Its almost as big as the computer itself.

Exactly, that's what I meant with "overdesigned".

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Excuse me for threadjacking/being off topic.

But I was in the Twin Cities Apple store last week, and I noticed that at the front counter, they had the keyboards to the iMacs/tills sitting on iCurves. Kind of interesting.

:p

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I am using the M-stand right now and I have to say, the thing is absolutely wonderful. You just have to remember to pop it open a few mm before placing it back on the stand (I use it away from the stand about 3-5 hours each evening). The cable management hole in the back is nice, but it would be nicer if you could jam a DVI connector through it. I could not imagine that the Elevator is this stable of a stand.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
There is no slippage with the elevator since the angle is not as severe as the mstand's. Just keep it clean and it'll do the rest.

Attachments

• MBP_Ikea.jpg
    MBP_Ikea.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 131
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.