mStand vs. iLap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick3000, Jul 2, 2009.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Hi,
    So I am looking to get a laptop stand and have narrowed my choices down to the mStand and the iLap from Rain. I can't decide which one is better and would like to get people's opinions. I like that the mStand because it lifts the MBP to the height of my external monitor, but you have to use an external keyboard. With the iLap I like that you don't need an external keyboard but the cushions don't look all that great in my opinion.

You had $50 for a stand, which would you choose?
    Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have the mStand
    I highly recommend it

Looks great with the 23" ACD... matches the MBP perfectly too
    Does exactly what I wanted from a stand

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I highly recommend the mStand. It really looks great with the unibody MBP's!

4. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I really like the mStand as well. But am leaning toward the iLap because I am not sure I want to commit to using an external keyboard all the time. Also, I am buying this from the Apple store because I have a $50 gift card these, the iLap ships in 24 hours, the mStand says 2-3 weeks.

5. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

Two different stands for different situations...

I have the iLap and love it! It's a excellent surface to rest you mac on instead of your lap. I really hate to burn my legs :D The iLaps suede support is comfortable and the slight angle makes typing a bit easier. Well worth the $

6. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I'm curious how high does the iLap lift the computer? On a desk is it annoying using a padded stand?
    Thanks!

7. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

The rear stand is permanently attached, but the front suede is easily removed within a few seconds (it slides sideways). When used as a table stand and without external keyboard I'd recommend you to remove the hand wrist stand as it raises the laptop to much to be comfortably used. The hand wrist padding is great when used as a lap stand though, as it covers the sharp edges of the macbook :) I recommend you to order a exact size of your macbook (iLap 13, 15 or 17).

I estimate the height to about 2-3" when placed on a desktop with both stands in place

8. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I think I am going to go with the iLap, it seems more versatile and will work a bit better for me. The mStand is very cool, but not as practical.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not if you want to use it in your lap or on the bed... no

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Ordered the mStand from Amazon the other day and love it.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I really find that unless my computer is getting extremely hot, I don't really enjoy using the iLap on my lap.

12. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I bought the mStand first, took it home and to my disappointment found out that I thought that it lifted my MBP too high! Took it back to the store and went for the iLap instead. It's a tad to low but much more comfortable then the too high mStand.

While I have it on the desk I remove the front cushion, and the few times that i use the iLap somewhere else (like my sofa) I put the cushion back on.

A variable height mStand would've been an instant buy!

Edit: btw, I use an external keyboard together with my iLap as well, feels more comfortable.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Were you using the built in keyboard/trackpad without a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

I find it to be the perfect height to compliment my 23" ACD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Used the external (corded) Apple keyboard together with my Logitech MX518.

I guess my NEC 20WGX2 (20.1") isn't high enough, the MBP screen was higher than the NEC with the mStand and it both looked odd and felt wrong. A larger monitor or a monitor that's a bit higher over the desk is probably a solution as well. :)

Edit: Took a quick picture of the iLap, MBP and my NEC monitor:
    [​IMG]

15. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I have the Mstand as well. I absolutely love it. It matches my monitors height perfectly and fits so seamlessly with the unibody design. As others have said, they are two different laptop stands. One is made to stay on your desk, the other...well.... is for your lap.
    Good luck with your choice. If it were my $50.00 I would buy the Mstand.

16. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

17. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

My iLap just arrived and I am glad I didn't get the mStand. I like typing on the actual computer and the iLap is perfect for that. I've been running handbrake all morning and so far the fans speed and CPU temp have dropped a bit.
    I am very pleased with this stand!