mStand w/ 15" retina

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smurray, Dec 19, 2012.

1. smurray macrumors regular

I'm considering getting an mStand for my new 15" rMBP. I've read somewhere that there's a pretty significant lip at the front since the retina is so much thinner. I was wondering if someone who has an mStand and a retina MBP would mind posting a pic so I can see exactly how much the lip sticks out. Thanks!

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't have an rMBP, but I do have a 15" cMBP. I measured the mStand's front lip, and it protrudes a full 2mm above the front edge. It's flush with the top of the tapered edge of the lid when closed. Comparing the rMBP and cMPB height dimensions I would say it would protrude about 7mm to 8mm above the palm rest. The main problem I see is that the lid opening notch in the stand might be at or above the edge of the rMBP lid, blocking the rMBP's lid opening notch.

3. 537635, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

537635 macrumors 6502

It's about 2-3mm above the top of the laptop. It looks OK, but I imagine it would be a problem if you were using it to type on the rMPB's keyboard. It doesn't hinder the opening of the screen, unless your thumbs are really big. ;-)

And yes - consider no more. If you have an external keyboard and mouse - this is the best stand in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Konstruktor, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

Konstruktor macrumors newbie

When the lid is open, it sticks out this much.
    But I'm not bothered, since I don't use the trackpad or keyboard when it sits on the mStand.

[​IMG]