MTR 2.66 vs MTR 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MitchVegas, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MitchVegas macrumors newbie

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The current version is 3.014m. It works with newer DVD's, which 2.66 chokes on.

To get the latest version, you have to request one personally from the developer (how to do this in outlined on the ripdifferent.com forums). A gift contribution is expected.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

LOL well it's not actually a gift contribution, because if you don't pay it he won't give it to you. So it's actually a purchase transaction.

4. CortexRock macrumors 6502

And it's a horrifically complicated procedure involving detailed emails, and there's no notification via the software that an update is available, so you have to keep wading through the RipDifferent forums on the off-chance.

Don't get me wrong, MTR is a great piece of software, but the hoops you have to jump through to stay ahead of the game are ridiculous.

Personally, I'd rather the developer just came out and said I want $50 for a licence or whatever.

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Right, well I think the term "gift" was chosen with a wink and nod. It allows the MTR developer(s), perhaps, just a little wiggle room when confronted with draconian copyright protection laws.