.mts files from external hard drive into Imovie 11

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shadysjl, Jul 7, 2011.

1. shadysjl macrumors newbie

Im not sure where to post im new to all this but can someone please help me? Ive been trying to do this for 2 days!!

I want to edit some of my old HD video clips in iMovie 11. They are .mts files. and are greyed out when I go to import them from imovie.. So I think ive come to the conclusion I have to convert the files.

Which is the best video converter? I want to keep the full HD quality. Ive tried handBrake but they dont import to imovie either.

I need a .MTS TO .MOV CONVERTER WHICH KEEPS THE QUALITY!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

2. admwright macrumors regular

Have you tried creating a dummy directory structure on the hard disk to look like that found on a digital camera? This is the structure with DCIM, etc. I have found that this is the only way to import vidio files into iMovie that are not still on the camera.

All the best
    Andrew W?

3. shadysjl thread starter macrumors newbie

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think you can use handbrake. Which setting did you try that didn't work the first time? I believe it's because the default setting is to make a MKV container, but change the type to MP4 and you should be fine. To be sure to maintain quality, move the slider to about 18. That will make a large file, but you can be sure it will be good.

5. shadysjl thread starter macrumors newbie

6. admwright macrumors regular

Just look at the directory structure on your camera (or memory chip) and re-create that on the hard disk. Then put the files you want to import into the appropriate directory.