.mts files... Upload to Mac first, then import to iMovie later?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slipper, Jun 3, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So in the other thread i mentioned how iMovie is not recognizing my Canon HF10. I am completely out of space on my camcorder. Can i upload my .mts movies to my mac now, and import them to iMovie later? I really need to get these videos on my camcorder ASAP.

2. joshsand66 macrumors newbie

mts files

I had similar problem with my Sony camera because i only have G5 and NOT an INTEL chip apple which is prerequiste for Imovie 08 to see/import HD files.
    You need to st your HDD and scren saver to NEVER sleep when importing, if you dont then imovie will really screw up.
    You can store all your mts files, but it is best to create a folder and copy the WHOLE directory structure off your camera into that folder.
    Also, you should be able to use the software that comes with your camera to decompress the mts files into mts2 files.
    I have purchased a little media player box called WDTV. It connects to an external hard disk and has 2 usb ports and will list and play each clip from the external disk(will see mts and mts2 files), Also i joined alot of my small clips with a Russian "muxing" program (free off internet) .This allowed me to group clips into scenes that made sense.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Going out to shoot more video. :D

4. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

You can also create a disk image of the folder you put your movie files into, imovie will then see it as a drive and import the footage.(imovie 09).

5. wkearney99 macrumors member

wkearney99

This is inaccurate. iMovie is VERY picky about what it will or won't recognize as a valid structure of files and folders containing AVCHD clips. If you use the camera archive function it will pull off the necessary files. But if you've already pulled off .mts or .m2ts clips there's NO WAY to import them into iMovie, none at all.