Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fizgig10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Got myself a new Panasonic camera that records movies in files that have an MST extension. They are apparently AVCHD files.

When I use Imovie 08 to import the videos directly off the camera, they preview perfectly (audio and video). I then say import them and see them in Imovie.

When I try to play them in Imovie, the sound plays at normal speed but the video is going about 2x faster than normal. Not sure why.

When I play the mts file directly off the camera with VLC, all works perfectly just like the Imovie import preview.

Something happens during the importing that Imovie does that causes this issue but I don't know how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

When I try to play them in Imovie, the sound plays at normal speed but the video is going about 2x faster than normal. Not sure why.

Please don't try to compare any version of iMovie with VLC. VLC is a player. iMovie is an editor. Its display functions are there strictly to service the preview mode and are an aid to editing. You are on a fool's errand when you worry about iMovie's display.

fizgig10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Not sure what MisterMe's deal is. Just trying to explain that the videos themselves are ok but iMovie can't play them correctly for some reason. Obviously VLC is a player. Whatever.

Anyone have any constructive things to suggest?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Not sure what MisterMe's deal is. ...
The deal is that you are not the first newbie to worry about how well iMovie works as a viewer. I am certain that you will not be the last. The bottomline is that iMovie is not a viewer. Its performance as a viewer will necessarily be unsatisfactory. You may accept this fact or you may not. The choice is yours.

fizgig10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Not only does iMovie 08 not preview it well but quicktime itself (one of those viewers you mention) has the same problem when playing the mts files directly. Any more snide remarks MrMe?

fizgig10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Found out the answer. Imovie 08 can't do it. 09 can. Thanks MrMr for your amazing help. You're an asset to this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.