Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I was over a friend's house and had to endure 2 hours of MTV. I was subjected to Jersey Shore and some other bad reality programming. I've lost all hope in our society.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I was over a friend's house and had to endure 2 hours of MTV. I was subjected to Jersey Shore and some other bad reality programming. I've lost all hope in our society.

Yeah it is terrible and so is programming in general. I made a commitment to myself to rid myself of TV and cell phones--nothing good comes from either.

I believe the more simplistic life that you live, the happier you will be. And I am not a Buddhist.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
The problem is that people keep watching the crappy programming. As long as they do, it will stay on air.

su12

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
im along with you all. mtv, horrible...

but i was flipping though last night and caught the buried life on there. looked pretty good in my opinion. at least this showw has a purpose, or goal to help others as they help themselves, unlike jersey shore.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009

1. If you base your opinion of society upon MTV, I pity you. :D

2. While I am WAY over MTV's market demo, it jumped the shark a LONG time ago, once the percentage of so called "programming" exceeded the music video programming.

3. Showing my age again, but most of the "music" these days is robotic sounding, repetitive, misogynistic crap, so, there is no possible way for MTV to be any good, even if they switched back to featuring music videos.............
But that's just me.

Foreign Feeling

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010

2. While I am WAY over MTV's market demo, it jumped the shark a LONG time ago, once the percentage of so called "programming" exceeded the music video programming.

3. Showing my age again, but most of the "music" these days is robotic sounding, repetitive crap, so, there is no possible way for MTV to be any good, even if they switched back to featuring music videos.............
But that's just me.

maybe they could show old music, or live videos of artists. It seems to me that MTV is all about pop in terms of music. Beyonce, Britney, JB, Miley Cyrus, etc... I'm not saying that they aren't talented, but music wise they just have catchy tunes. What about showing them on a live scale, or bringing in new artists that aren't heard of. I think MTV has soo many possibilities but yet they are afraid of branching to anything but their crappy reality shows.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Society is as strong as its weakest link, in this case MTV and those it has captivated.
Showing my age again, but most of the "music" these days is robotic sounding, repetitive, misogynistic crap, so, there is no possible way for MTV to be any good, even if they switched back to featuring music videos.............
But that's just me.
Can't start playing videos, the way Elvis moves his hips will put the devil in those teens.
Seriously though, how can you comment on "most music these days" when you don't listen to contemporary music? It's understood that the "most music these days" critique has been code for "I stopped listening to new music when I was a teenager / in college" for longer than either of us have been around.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
I'm not a fan of MTV. I remember when they actually used to play music videos, but that was so long ago.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky

Oh c'mon, after seeing Pookie you know you'd love to hit that!

...............With a two-by-four :p

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It's like a train wreck- you can't help but look.

MTV has been crap for the past decade.

I don't even know what channel it's on here.

Decade?

MTV has been crap since 1993, after the first season of Beavis and Butthead and the 3rd season of the Real World. That was an eye-opening season season of TRW, especially with Pedro Zamora being on there with HIV. Woke a lot of people up. B'n'B was funny the first season, but then they started to push it, gangsta rap, and grunge like some drug dealer on the street corner, it was too much. They did to the medium of music videos what grunge did to rock. It was a great concept; 24 hour music video channel. Too bad greed got in the way.

BL.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Decade?

MTV has been crap since 1993, after the first season of Beavis and Butthead and the 3rd season of the Real World. That was an eye-opening season season of TRW, especially with Pedro Zamora being on there with HIV. Woke a lot of people up. B'n'B was funny the first season, but then they started to push it, gangsta rap, and grunge like some drug dealer on the street corner, it was too much. They did to the medium of music videos what grunge did to rock. It was a great concept; 24 hour music video channel. Too bad greed got in the way.

BL.

Wait... isn't it 2003?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Mtv started sucking after Headbangers Ball and Alternative Nation went off
the air and stupid Real World started dominating the mix.
Ugh, why can't we go back to the early 90's?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Decade?

BL.

I was a teen during the 80s (yeah, that dates me, eh?), so I fondly remember when MTV really was about music. In 1987 and 1988, during college, I occasionally watched 120 Minutes for the odd Depeche Mode or Sisters Of Mercy vid. I also must admit to liking B&B in its heyday-- anyone remember Frog Baseball?-- but after the umpteenth appearance of Cornholio, I got bored.

bradl, it's interesting that you pinpoint that particular season of Real World. If I'm not mistaken, that was also the cast that featured the infamous "Puck", who pushed the envelope of what "reality" meant for the show and started a chain of Puck wannabes trying to be outrageous on camera.

Insofar as actual music videos, the only channel that seems to air any is VH1 Classic. Nevertheless, thanks to YouTube, I can see virtually any video (new or classic) whenever I want, so I have no need for any of these channels anymore.

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
I heard that MTV was good back in the early 80s. You know when they used to show Dire Straits videos.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Actually the evolution of MTV is kind of interesting if you think about it from a sociocultural perspective. It started with musicians who wanted to get their music out via music videos as opposed to just radio play. The greater fame would not only lead to monetary success, but the everpresent goal of becoming a "rock star". The impressionable youth who watched MTV became almost obsessed with the excesses of their rock star celebrities.

Then reality tv turned the formula on it's head by allowing the average person the opportunity to become a celebrity. No longer were you just watching MTV, but you could be on the same station as your heroes and achieve your own fame.

In fact, reality became such a craze that now legitimate celebrities do their own reality shows or leaked videos instead of sticking to what made them famous in the first place. It's this change in make up of celebrity that has further developed reality TV, entertainment, and communication as we know it.

I mean, really think about it, one could argue that Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc. are simply the further evolution of reality tv whereby one person's reality is broadcast to another for entertainment and information consumption.

MTV continues to do reality programming as it's main focus because it is what the consumer wants right now and therefore it's lucrative. I think it's a pretty good indication of where we are socially and culturally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.