MU-MIMO support in early 2015 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keaide, Apr 17, 2016.

1. keaide macrumors regular

Does the13" MacBook Pro (early 2015) support MU-MIMO? I am looking for a new WiFi router right now and I am wondering if I should take a cheaper older model or a new one with MU-MIMO (basically it's Netgear R7000 vs. R7800).
    I will upgrade to new iPhone & iPad later this year, which hopefully will support this, but I am not sure about the MBP.
    I also have an older 2010 iMac, which is quite outdated by now (no AC WiFi of course) but it still does a fine job for it's intended purpose. It might only get replaced in two years or so if there's no hardware failure before.
    Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... no Apple product currently has MU-MIMO.

I think you are on the right track there with your choice. At this point MU-MIMO is a bit of a pipe dream and the sweet spot for routers is the AC1900 class like the R7000 you are looking at. The Asus RT-AC68U is also a good choice in that class.

3. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot.
    The R7000 it is then. I also know the Asus model (a friend of mine has it) and it seems to be a decent contender but I am somehow sold on the R7000 (for no specific reason if that makes any sense...).

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the Asus RT-AC68U and I agree it is about a toss up. I like the Asus for the Merlin custom firmware. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

5. RedTomato, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

iDevices from the 6S onwards have MU-MIMO.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-6s/specs/

Sorry for the thread necromancy but this thread was near the top of google when I was searching for info on Apple MU-MIMO.

EDIT: I was wrong on this. Thanks to Weaselboy for the correction, below.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are mistaken. The 6S has SU (single user) MIMO and not MU (multi-user) MIMO. The link you provided says nothing about MU-MIMO.

See here and read this PDF (page 17).

No current Apple client device has MU-MIMO.